Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...

Hello, my name is Deanne and I've lurked literally for YEARS, but I'm a reclusive wierdo so I finally just got around to making an account.

My husband and I live in West Fargo, ND with our two sons, ages 3 and 4 months. We've both been gearheads since junior high. My dad "made" me help him swap a 396 into his '65 Impala SS (the original 327 is still on the engine stand as a keepsake) when I was 15. From there I bondo-and-spray painted the gaping rust holes in my '90 Taurus, added a spoiler and hacked off the muffler and went around 'drag-racing' Honda CRX's and late 80's S-10pickups.

My husband and I started dating after attending a court-mandated defensive driving course that we both were ordered to in order to keep our driver's licenses. We were in our last year of high school. Isn't that a great love story?

Anyway, fast forward a few years and here we are...we bought our '00 Z/28 when I was pregnant with our first boy because that'd just what people do. Buy a Camaro 'for your pregnant wife'. Right.

The bug bit and before you know it the 100% stock car was sporting all the bolt ons, a few aesthetic changes etc. We take it to the local drag strip for the 'street legal' events. Way fun. She has dipped down into the 12.8's, much to our surprise. I bet the times would be even better if it had a driver that knew WTF they were doing. She also participates in SCCA autocross events. Not her shining glory, but still funner than a **** and the only car there that sounds like a pissed off dragon (SLP long tubes that dump mid-door serve as an exhaust). Driver probably has something to do with that, too.

And as the old story goes, I ended up pregnant again. I also work 20 miles away from home, and gas prices suck. My daily driver is an '08 Yukon Denali XL...and that AWD schoolbus with a 6.2L sucks the gas. So, in grand baby-expecting tradition, we found a heckuva deal on a cherry little '99 Firebird V6 ragtop with 70k. I put some different wheels on her, a 2nd-gen Bird on the hood, and kablam. Gas-car without being ridiculously undesireable. Actually people oogle that car like its a spring-breaker in a bikini. A friend of mine calls it the Pervertable. Its perfect.

Then, the big one hit. My husband got a '68 Camaro for his birthday. What did I get for my birthday? I went to WalMart and bought cat litter and laundry detergent and maternity jeans and ice cream. He gets a '68 Camaro.

The car was his dads for all of eternity up until this point, but I guess he figured we needed more cars. He was absolutely correct. WAY correct. Good thing we have two garages.

Im trying to attach images here...wish me luck...

Last edited by GoldDust; 03-28-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Teching In

photo attempt....

'00 Z/28, auto, full SLP "400hp Kit", plus a bunch other crap I cant keep track of.

'68 Camaro, M4, originally a 302 car - moderately built 350 transplanted in the early '00's
Attached Thumbnails A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...-both1.jpg   A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...-chugmaro.jpg   A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...-red1.jpg  

Last edited by GoldDust; 03-28-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

pics x2
Attached Thumbnails A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...-scca.jpg   A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...-yukon.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Pervertable....3.8L, Auto. ~72k Mechanically stock.
Attached Thumbnails A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...-bird-800x488-.jpg  

Last edited by GoldDust; 03-28-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to the forum! Those are some sweet rides! I love the style of the '68s. How are its road manners?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Thank you! It can be a little temperamental, but in a good way. You definitely have to wrestle with her at times! The Camaros are snowed into our back garage right now, one it melts I can get some nice spring pics.

Quick Reply: A couple Camaros + a Bird in Fargo...