Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Member Intro!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Intro!

Hello, everyone!

I joined LS1Tech a few months back and have been more of a lurker than anything, but I figured there's no time like the present than to get actively involved.

In April I bought a 1998 Trans Am from a very questionable looking couple of guys in the parking lot of where the school I teach was having this year's prom. I'm pretty sure they needed money for their next meth fix, and my wife and I called the car "The Methbird" for a while after that. We gave it a good wash, took the interior panels out for better cleaning (and inspection for hidden drugs), removed some long-abandoned stereo wire, fixed a few minor interior issues like seatbelt guides and amateur wire splicing, and have enjoyed the crap out of it. For $3,500 we feel like we got a hell of a deal.

It's got some issues (only one headlight comes on, it's got the wrong gauge cluster in it for some reason, the paint looks cheap and has had it rough, fitment is questionable on the aftermarket WS6 hood, the windows want to jump track, the gas gauge doesn't work because a previous owner screwed up on a fuel pump install, and the chrome is peeling off the knock-off Firehawk wheels), but I'm sure we'll get them all worked out in time. It's got a pretty firm shift kit already as well as a 3.73 locker (which needs to be adjusted because it is loud. There's been some sort of exhaust work done, but I'm fairly certain it's just a weld in muffler. It sounds pretty good except for the rattling of something in the muffler or a hanger I haven't located yet.

All-in-all, I'm pleased with our new toy and look forward to getting it all straightened out. I'm fortunate to not have to be under any pressure to get anything perfect and have a super reliable car in my 2002 Focus (which I also enjoy modifying) to use as a daily driver.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM

Default New Intro Section

My name is Tony Moore. I am from Indiana. Although I am sure I wont be frowned upon, I'm pretty sure no one will look up to me. I am buying a 1987 rx7 turbo ii soon with no engine and no tranny. I plan on getting an LM7 engine from a truck and I am still not sure what tranny I will use. I am here to learn more about the LS1 and the LS series of engines. I understand that the LM7 is fairly close to the LS1 with almost the same block (sans aluminum.) I am just curious about compatibility of engine management systems between 5.7 and 5.3 and am looking to build a pocket rocket on a budget.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Quick Reply: New Member Intro!