Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

68 Camaro dreams

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Camaro dreams

Hi my name is Kevin and I live in Johnstown Ohio. I have been reading on this site for years soaking up info and figured it was time to create an account and give back. I am an IT consultant by day and love to spend all the nights my wife will allow in the mechanical world. I purchased a really ROUGH 68 Camaro about three years ago in the hopes of restoring it and dropping an LS1 in it. The Camaro was %80 rust but came with most of the new replacement steel such as the floor pan trunk pan rockers etc. I spent about a year of nights and weekends cutting it apart and reconstructing it and then got tired of trying to work on it in my small 2 car garage. I took two years away from the car to build a shop and now its game on. I am almost done reconstructing the body and now it is time for the real fun!!! I picked up an entire LS1 swap radiator to drive shaft from a 97 Camaro. The #5 rod to crank connection is shot with an almost spun bearing. I hardly paid anything for the setup and wanted to go turbo so hopefully it will work out. Planning to go billet rods and flat top pistons for boost. Still undecided on cam but also know from a past experience studs springs and a chain will be the min required upgrades. I have tons of ideas but have never boosted an LS1 before. I want to go with boost because I like the technical challenge. I did do a ghetto homemade kit on an 88 Honda civic using a ford probe turbo, 450 cc injectors and dry zex kit. I blew up two motors tuning it myself with gehettodyne (pgmfi.org), a wide band and a g-meter but once it was solid I couldn't keep the wheels on the ground. In the end I created two maps that I had to burn (yes burn with a chip burner) to an over sized 27c512 EPROM that would flip once the NOS arm switch was enabled. Enough of my ramblings here are some pics. I will post my rough plans for my turbo setup and tons of questions in the forced induction section soon. Thanks for putting up with me in advance

Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Looks like you brought that car back from the grave.... Looks like a good start..
Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks BaneShecker. Back from the grave is a good way to put it. my next step is to clean up and repair the sub frame order sub frame to body bushings and bolts as well as LS1 mounts. As soon as they come in I can start mocking it up in the car. Here are a couple of questions

Has anyone used the transdapt mounts? Good bad indifferent?
http://www.calspeedperformance.com/p...p/trd-4592.htm

I want to start a long start to finish post on my project what section would be best suited for that?

Quick Reply: 68 Camaro dreams