Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

LM7 Stock Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 Stock Rebuild

I just bought a 2004, lm7 from the junkyard and after reading three books, I started to tear into it- very slowly and methodically, labeling and taking tons of pictures of everything. I don't have the truck yet but plan on buying a 2004, 4-door Z71 4x4, hopefully with a blown motor to save cost. My plan is to replace the rings, bearings and gaskets to hopefully build a new engine while gaining an amazing experience. I will have a machine shop check all tolerances- crank, cam, cylinders etc... Hoping nothing big needs to be replaced or that the cylinders don't need to be bored out.
Even though I know not to expect much gain (not without other mods too) The ONLY "performance" mod I want to make is to port and polish the heads myself- only because I see it as a personal challenge. Also because I'm super meticulous and am confident that I can do a good job (I have a pipe fitting background with hours of die grinder time logged)
Anywho, the big question- is there a recommended kit for rings, bearings and gaskets- manufacturer? Is it cheaper to buy these separate or together? Finally, where is the best/cheapest place to get it/them- EBay?

Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

Also, any advise is appreciated!!!

Quick Reply: LM7 Stock Rebuild