Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hi I like long walks on the beach and ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi I like long walks on the beach and ...

OOOPS! Wrong forum
Just kidding, I figure a little humor never killed anyone.

My name is Steve and I just started seeing the light of the LSX engines.
I am a well versed in the ways of gen1 and was dead set against the ls engines and EFI in general until lately, and I have to say I'm absolutely floored at the #'s that you can achieve with these engines, to the point where if I can get this whole wiring/tuning thing down I don't think I will ever look back at gen1 again. It has been an almost religious experience reading up on builds and that mind numbing power when you boost these things.
My big downfall is the wiring and ecu end of them as I am an absolute idiot when it comes to wiring and computers. My wiring abilities dont extend much past putting in an electric fuel pump or a nice sound system, so I'm sure I'm bound to frustrate a few of you with redundancies and not using correct terminology so sorry in advance.
It's my plan to begin this journey with a 5.3 swap into a 70~78 nova or maybe a G body but I'm thinking I'm gonna get the engine ready before I get the car.
Being that I am not so good with computers most of my questions will probably be relivent to that. Questions like how do I get gauges from a 70's car to work with an ecu? Is it even possible? How do I get fans to work? Why do I need the computer to know I have a power adder? Isn't it supposed to adjust automatically? If I have dual exhaust do I need 2 O2 sensors ? How do I do that?...
Anyway, I'm sure this will all come in time. I do have some patience ( active word being some) and I am mechanically enclined as I was a mechanic for 15 years but that was 20 years ago.

As I said already I'm absolutely floored at the power I can make by swapping springs a cam and headers so I'm thinking this is where I want to start. I hate to ask a question in my greeting post but since I'm typing here.....
Could someone shoot me a few ideas as to who can and what do I need to tell them to flash an ecu?
I have no intention of ever taking care of this stuff myself until I can afford a set up that doesn't require a laptop to program.

I think I'm gonna like doing this ls thing. Thanks in advance for this site and all the info on it.

Oh, BTW not that it matters but here's some personal info.
I'm 45
Married
1 daughter (20) who actually wants to build the car and go to the track with me
I live in Hamden CT
I Frequent Lebanon Valley drag way in the summertime
Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

welcome
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

WELCOME !!!! the search button will be your best friend. they is a ton of info on here
Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Default Welcome

Welcome! Search bar will help alot!also try thirdgen.org

Quick Reply: Hi I like long walks on the beach and ...