Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Lurker turned poster from Minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lurker turned poster from Minnesota

Hi all, decided to finally create an account here after I've used this site several times when looking up suggestions on working on my car. I'm a Marine who's mostly into computers, but have recently gotten interested in working on cars. I bought a 2002 Camaro Z28 35th Anniversary Edition 2 years ago from a fellow Marine, and have spent the majority of the time since then on upkeep. Now, I'm finally getting a second car, so I want to start investing some time and money into modding the car and seeing what I can do with it. I still consider myself a noob when it comes to working on cars, as there is a ton of stuff I don't know how to do. So far a Chilton repair manual has gotten me by, but I'm going to need more help.
As I said, I drive an '02 Camaro Z28. The only performance mod to it so far is a K&N cold air intake. I've looked into doing several upgrades, but seem unable to pick a place to start. Right now I'm torn between getting a new exhaust, or a new intake manifold. Leaning towards the manifold, as I have a very aggravating whistling noise coming out of mine right now that drives me insane.
Anyway, that's me. I could go on and on about the car, but I'm going to try to keep this short. So: hello everyone, and glad to finally be a member here!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Minnesota here also, a good place to start would be long tube headers, and uncatted y pipe
Old 09-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Where would be a good place to look for decent prices on performance parts? I recently got a part-time gig at a local O'Reilly to save money on parts, but options seem limited as far as performance parts go.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just saw a post tsp texas speed has a sale on headers. if muffler is stock either change to a magnaflow muffler or catback if getting longtubes & Y-pipe. your intake is already an ls6 so i wouldnt be quick to change that. no idea what your whistle is. idler pulley or tensioner pulley sounds like bird chirping. pinion seal near rearend commonly leak. i think lca's with relos & new TA or poly TA mount (budget) help eliminate wheelhop & add traction. ps flip your air lid if open & smooth good if hard plastic baffles get a new one.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamer0364
Where would be a good place to look for decent prices on performance parts? I recently got a part-time gig at a local O'Reilly to save money on parts, but options seem limited as far as performance parts go.
Like said above your intake is a ls6 so I would leave it. For performance parts i like going threw Texas Speed
Old 09-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
pinion seal near rearend commonly leak. i think lca's with relos & new TA or poly TA mount (budget) help eliminate wheelhop & add traction. ps flip your air lid if open & smooth good if hard plastic baffles get a new one.
Would you mind translating some of that for me Dan? As I said, I'm still a noob when it comes to cars. I think that when you say air lid, you mean the flap inside the throttle body... am I on the right track here? And how can I tell for sure that I have an LS6 manifold?

Quick Reply: Lurker turned poster from Minnesota