Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

hi from LS1 or LS4 owner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi from LS1 or LS4 owner!

hi all; after cruising a LOT of forums I thought it would be helpful to sign up here; I am working on a swap into a fiero (with a 308 body) and am looking at either the LS1 or LS4 engines; I can get either and want to know the pros/cons as best as possible.
I noted with interest that the forum doesn't seem to include the LS4 in its general description, and know at least some of the reasons why.... It is a bit different... and that is why I am here. I hope to find out what I can and can't do if I do decide to get one.
So tell me if I can get some input on it or if I should shove off or whatever; I look forward to finding out from some knowledgeable people!
Thanks in advance!
GP
Niagara Falls area
Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the site, GP

There is a LS4-specific area here: LS4 Performance

I think a LS4 (or any LS-based engine) Fiero is a great idea to bring an oft-neglected model into more modern times (powertrain wise, anyway). I also believe that you'd want to consider using the 6 speed manual transmission which was found only in the 2006 & 2007 G6.

A quick search yielded a build which looks to be quite involved: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...peed-swap.html

Best of luck!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks! I have some background...

Appreciate the tip; I did NOT see the LS4 section so will peruse with interest!
I have some (mostly mech'l) background; we have swapped a G6 LX9 3.5 into one fiero with the 282 5 spd and used a reprogrammed ECM out of an 02 Venture van; it works great.
I have an F40 6 spd now and intend to use it in this new swap.
Bit of background: I have a NEW, crate, LZ9 in the garage and my original intent was to use it, with a turbo etc... but using the 'best' ecm or pcm is a challenge. I don't want to discard the cam position sensing feature and that, with a few other things, is a sticking point.
I am torn between going back to a 7730 ecm, updating a BIT to a 411 or trying to get the E67 reprogrammed. None seem like ideal situations after talking to various people including Moates, BCC, my local Dyno guy and others. Each poses challenges and I'm not sure come can be solved.
So with that, I have access to either an LS1 or LS4 right now at $500; the LS1 is about 50,000 miles and COMPLETE, incl ECM, so it is teasing me, but I want to be sure to get the best one for my purpose.
I want 'about' 400hp out of either, so that is part of the choice. A cam and head work (& intake) is expected for either.
Sorry for long email but now it is 'out there' !
GP

Quick Reply: hi from LS1 or LS4 owner!