Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy in CT - 1st gen Rx-7 LSx project w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy in CT - 1st gen Rx-7 LSx project w/pics

Hey guys, figured I have a motor now so I'd better join so I can start asking questions. I have an 85 Rx-7 that my dad and I restored over the last 7-8 years. The car belonged to my father in law, who gave it to his son, who let it rot out badly. I took it for 'free,' and spent hundreds of hours on it to get to where it is today. Was hoping I'd be able to keep the little 12A rotary w/racing beat prepped Holley, exhaust, etc, but it's just too finicky and underpowered for my taste. I'll start a progress thread soon.

photo (1) by cjerin, on Flickr

I picked up an 01 2500HD w/an LQ4 6.0 this past week after a long search. While I'd have preffered an LS1 or an L33 5.3, this truck was way too good of a deal to pass up. That said, I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the forum and people far smarter than me when it comes to the right combo of parts for a reasonable, streetable build on this motor. My initial thoughts were LS6 intake manifold, cam, mill the stock heads, and of course a rebuild/refresh.

As far as other cars, I've always been a turbo 4 guy. Currently have an old 85 Saab 900 turbo with a fair amount of work done to it, and my daily is a 328i w/a 2.0 turbo, stick, rwd. Past cars include a Ford t-bird turbocoupe, merkur Xr4Ti, and a few other old turbo saabs. Also have an HD roadglide with a cam'd 103 & power vision for the nicer days.

Just built a new shop, and made a dream come true by sticking a 4-post lift in it.

image by cjerin, on Flickr

image by cjerin, on Flickr

Anyway, thanks for having me, looking forward to learning and seeing other offbeat projects.

-Chris
Old 10-23-2014, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site! Those cars are becoming few and far between. I'm sure a LS engine will make that lightweight car a rocket! Just give us a shout if you need any parts for your build, especially a camshaft. Feel free to send us over an email to support@tickperformance.com or give us a call at 336.719.0599.

Quick Reply: New guy in CT - 1st gen Rx-7 LSx project w/pics