Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new to site and new to the ls world, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to site and new to the ls world, help needed

so this past march I picked up a Nissan hardbody with a 01 ls1 in it. turned out the guy was unaware that you had to change the oil on a regular basis and now the bottom end is shot. so I just picked up a 01 lq4 tonight and was doing some research and I think I have a decent understanding of what I can do to the two motors to get the most power from them but if someone could correct me where I might be wrong or point me in a better direction I would love them forever lol. so from what I gathered from several different posts was that I can take the bottom end from the lq4 and put on the heads and intake from my ls1. with that id increase the compression by a half a point and depending on what cam I put in could see maybe 30-40 hp increase. so the things I need help with if this is correct is which head gaskets do I use? I thought I saw in one post that I can use the ls1 water pump seeing the lq4 will be in the way of the ls1 intake, will it bolt straight up? I also saw that ill have to get different injector plugs seeing the two are different. I was going to get a plug and play harness and was going to see if they can do that for me. will my 4l60e bolt up? which pcm should I run and will I need to get it tuned even if I run the stock ls1 cams? and I think this is the last question for now, will the motor mounts be in the same spot? thank you in advance for all your help.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why cant you run the stuff already set up with? Your pcm probably can be programed for what your running. Cam depends on how aggressive you want to be. 4L60E should work depending on your wiring set up.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 PM

What stuff are you referring to of why can't I run it?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

From what I see you can just use the LQ4 short block and put everything else from your LS1 on it like the oil pan, heads, Intake with injectors/ valve covers and coils and all your accessory components on it. You may have to change a sensor or two but everything should bolt right on. I'm pretty sure you want the head gaskets to match the bore size of the block so LQ4 bore sized gaskets.

Everything will bolt up to the block and everything else from the LS1 will work including the ecm injectors wiring and all. The only thing you'll want to check on is to see if the crankshaft is the same as the LS1 crank, I know some of the early Lq4's had a longer crankshaft but I think that was 99-00 so if you have an 01 then it should be ok to mate to the trans you already have.

You will likely need a tune because of the added cubic inches.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 01-01-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:13 AM

Ok cool,so I want far off from what I thought. Is there any good place to get the computer tuned at?
Old 01-02-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had LT1Swap.com do mine. On your set up I thought you were thinking you had to change a bunch stuff I interpreted wrong I guess.

Quick Reply: new to site and new to the ls world, help needed