Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Another noob intro.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another noob intro.

Hi all, I've been lurking for months now, after extensive searches seems I have an apparently unusual project in the works. Upgrading my 03 express 2500 cargo from a 5.3 with two burned valves to a complete 06 LQ-4 and 4L80e take out with a mere 30k miles on it.
I just picked up the complete LQ-4 tonight and have a project underway now. I want this thing to be a DD but a little hot too. Ordered the Herbert Cams version of the "hot cam" and LS6 springs, hard pushrods and scorpion rockers. Definatly going to have it tuned. Anything else I should do before stuffing this in? Any mods like PCV move etc?
The van weighs in at 4900# so think the truck intake is best?
Thanks in advance for your advise, Jeff
Old 12-31-2014, 03:29 AM
Teching In

How about an electric fan and stock clutch fan delete?
Old 12-31-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not sure what to tell ya but electric fan should help a bit. You can see if you can find or make a cold air kit for it but van unusual project. Computor guy can tune a hotter set up as well. After cat exhaust maybe good. pcm can be turned on for electric fan control.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Teching In

76larkman what vehicle is a good source for the fans? I am planning the cat back but nobody makes a kit so it will need to be custom, was considering a flowmaster deltaflow but second guessing that after seeing all the hate on flowmaster on this site (what gives?).
The van is a 2500 but only has 6 lug wheels, havn't torn into the diff yet but willing to swap it or change gears and add locker if needed. I would like to get this thing into the mid thirteens maybe 12.99 on a 150 nitrous shot.
Cam, pushrods and spring tool came today valve springs are backordered. :-(
Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

measure your radiator tank seam to tank seam for width then measure height. you may have to fab brackets for fan. I think some later silverados had electric fans or go junk yard and measure something like Taurus or intrepid Ive saw on here people say work well. cut electric plug for reuse. Go to LT1Swap.com on the wiring, which you need to put inline fuse and a relay. when get pcm reprogrammed have the turn on fan controls. you may have to ad wires in correct spots on pcm plugs they may not be there. 3"73 be a good gear for that tank and still be very streetable.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Throw a set of headers on it as well. Lots of variations on market so something should work.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Teching In

What is better for this van, short or long tube? Anybody have a clue as to what would/could/might fit? There is no listing for headers by any manufacturer for this thing. The logical thing is the truck header but does anyone have knowledge of the two?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the shorty style on my skylark. they come to where tranny /motor mate up. I don't no your clearance so just guessing. If the manifolds from pick up look same I would say get them for Silverado. Your in unknown territory as you said. I like shorty style just cause usually easier to install.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Teching In

What about port matching the stock exhaust heads/manifolds? I searched once again and did not see much about the subject. I may search for some better 243 heads since the engine is still out. Will make some calls on the headers in the morning.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go over to motor sections to see whats going on with heads. post some ? over on there get more response.

Quick Reply: Another noob intro.