Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new to the LS engine swap and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the LS engine swap and have questions

I have a complete 5.3 silverado 2x4 auto in my back yard. and it still runs and drove up to point of wrecking.
SO I have everything I may need for a swap i hope.
I am wanting to put this engine in my 98 cobra body. its just a roller I bought and in mint shape.
Making a cruiser and maybe weekend road course racer. I am not about winning or being the fastest, just having good time running around fast.

Couple of questions.

I want to use minimum wiring to run the engine so I will cut down the harness of all the stuff it dont need.
1. Is the Passlock system tied to the computer? I dont know how to bypass using the steering column and key if it is.
2. if there is a way around or it does not mess with computer, what is the minimum wires that need to come from the dash area to the computer to get it to run? I will put the computer under the hood in roughly the same spot as the truck. I will tackle the gauges later after getting it running and driving.
3.what is the fuel pressure to run the 5.3? I can check it before I pull it out, but save me the trouble to know. that way i can match the cobra tank pressure.
4.I have throttle by wire, and dont mind reusing it. Any one see a problem other than lack of control or fail point?
I am sure I got a million other questions. I have worked on a lot of cars and trucks, but never tried to do a swap of efi engine from one company to another brand and make the efi stuff play nice.
I have seen and read a lot of write ups about this same swap. But want to chronicle mine.

I have a truck that already has the 5.3 from factory and love it. And I knew it would be a good swap since it it powerful and small .
Old 01-02-2015, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

welcome aboard. You"ll find a lot of mustang conversions over conversion/ hybrid section. Wiring to cut down harness info can be found on LT1Swap.com, I used it works great. You can move computer anywhere you want when doing harness. You need the gas pedal, wiring harness and tach box for throttle. Tach box is on outside firewall between brake booster and left fender. Your wiring he has you using an aftermarket 4 place fuse panel and 2 relays. 1 is primary other for fuel pump. He also programs pcm for you he did mine $75 cost. You probably will need to swap to car intake for hood clearance. You can use mustang steering column. any questions just post them coversion section.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks I posted up a question about the sentry keys.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your talking about vats security pcm programmer can delete it. You just tell programmer and they take it from there.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 76larkman
If your talking about vats security pcm programmer can delete it. You just tell programmer and they take it from there.
yues that is what i was talking about... Found a guy on Ebay that does it for 30 bucks..

he can do more for more $$... But i just want that security deal gone so I can get it in and start it up...
After that I may get other tune done to it...

Quick Reply: new to the LS engine swap and have questions