Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

First LS (prior Mustang guy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LS (prior Mustang guy)

Hey all, just bought my first LS today. 2002 Trans Am WS6 w/ 25k miles for $17,700 after taxes and such were added on.
I've been a diehard mustang guy for a while but thought it was a good time to make a change when I saw the ad for this beauty.
It's absolutely bone stock minus the rims and it has always been garage kept.

Anyways, feel free to give me any advice you may have!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Nice ride! Enjoy it and welcome to the LS world!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
Nice ride! Enjoy it and welcome to the LS world!

Thanks!! I'm excited and definitely ready to explore the new engine haha. Be an interesting change up, that's for sure. Definitely like the way the power hits in this vs my old mustangs though.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Launching!

These are very fun cars! Do you plan on doing mods to it?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 PM
Teching In

These are very fun cars! Do you plan on doing mods to it?
Absolutely, gonna be looking for an MGW Shifter first, pry a magna flow exhaust following that. After that I have no plans yet.

Anywhere you'd suggest starting?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Those are good ideas. The most common thing that people start with are an aftermarket air box lid- SLP (about $90 or so) with a K&N filter. Longtube headers and an off-road Y pipe are very popular as well to go with the rest of the exhaust you will be putting on there. Also if you decide to give it a tune up, throw some MSD plug wires on there with NGK plugs (there's a good price on the wires as ws6store.com)

There are always great deals on this stuff in the classifieds section!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Those are good ideas. The most common thing that people start with are an aftermarket air box lid- SLP (about $90 or so) with a K&N filter. Longtube headers and an off-road Y pipe are very popular as well to go with the rest of the exhaust you will be putting on there. Also if you decide to give it a tune up, throw some MSD plug wires on there with NGK plugs (there's a good price on the wires as ws6store.com)

There are always great deals on this stuff in the classifieds section!
Alright awesome, I was actually looking at the K&N last night, have one of my dad's friends who pointed me to this site and ws6store.com as well. Getting really excited to start getting parts in the mail again, it's been a little while. Thanks for the input!

I'd love to get a kooks exhaust, they always sounded so dang good on the mustangs, but dang are they expensive.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Ws6store is my favorite vendor for parts and stuff... great prices, quick shipping. Yeah Kooks are expensive! There are plenty of options with these cars though!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Ws6store is my favorite vendor for parts and stuff... great prices, quick shipping. Yeah Kooks are expensive! There are plenty of options with these cars though!
Haha yeah I've noticed! There's about as much if not more for these than there was for any of my mustangs! I can't wait to start modding though! I'll pry order a short shifter and an intake next month. Am I able to put the LS7/LSXR manifolds on my LS1? not sure how all that works with the LS engines.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Your car has the LS6 intake on it from the factory (as does mine) which is way better than the normal LS1 intake. (20hp gain or so) so really you're in good shape with that intake. If you're serious about making power, you'd go the route of a FAST intake. (probably a 90mm but i'm not an expert in that)
Old 01-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Your car has the LS6 intake on it from the factory (as does mine) which is way better than the normal LS1 intake. (20hp gain or so) so really you're in good shape with that intake. If you're serious about making power, you'd go the route of a FAST intake. (probably a 90mm but i'm not an expert in that)
Ahh alrighty. That's what I was looking at in the first place, known about FAST for a long time and always heard good things. 90mm was what I was looking at, 102mm seemed like overkill.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

Welcome, that is a pretty good deal you got. Car is gorgeous. Like already mentioned you already have the ls6 intake, i wouldnt change that unless you go H/C. Even then you really wouldnt need it unless you wanted to get every hp out of it. They are expensive too. The mgw is a great shifter and the magnaflow cat-back sounds great on these cars. Good choices, i have both. What year mustang did you have prior to the T/A?
Old 02-01-2015, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Highly recommend a full exhaust. Save up and buy headers. Texas speed sells 1 7/8 stainless for 500 bucks that with there y pipe and cat back will be a great gain in power. 6 speed I see so if you drive like a crazed animal like I did/do I have broken A clutch and rear. Not saying you will lol just be aware of the rear end. Any other question just ask away.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
Welcome, that is a pretty good deal you got. Car is gorgeous. Like already mentioned you already have the ls6 intake, i wouldnt change that unless you go H/C. Even then you really wouldnt need it unless you wanted to get every hp out of it. They are expensive too. The mgw is a great shifter and the magnaflow cat-back sounds great on these cars. Good choices, i have both. What year mustang did you have prior to the T/A?
Thank you! If I do the intake it won't be til I get most/all of my other bolt ons done. Doesn't seem like the gain will be worth it until I start putting some more important mods on it. I was recommended to get the MGW by another t/a driver, and the magnaflow as far as I can tell from all the crappy sound clips on YouTube, sounds pretty dang good.

As for my Mustangs, I've had a 93 LX and a 95 GT.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Highly recommend a full exhaust. Save up and buy headers. Texas speed sells 1 7/8 stainless for 500 bucks that with there y pipe and cat back will be a great gain in power. 6 speed I see so if you drive like a crazed animal like I did/do I have broken A clutch and rear. Not saying you will lol just be aware of the rear end. Any other question just ask away.
I'll do my best on getting the full exhaust but it will be more likely I buy the catback first and then the headers/x pipe at a later date when I have funds. E3s don't make that much money haha. As for the drive train I planned on picking up a different clutch sometime this summer most likely, and a 9 inch rear end will be done as well, probably put 4.11s in it, that may change though. Haven't looked into axles that I'll want yet though.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Such a beautiful car and great choice. Not trying to be negative but just do light bolt on's. Hate to see a car that clean get butchered up. Please im not being negative to you i would have bought something not so nice to play with, just my 2 cents thats all.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Welcome to the day side my friend :-)

Quick Reply: First LS (prior Mustang guy)