Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to the site / New to the LS world

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site / New to the LS world

Hello everyone, I am new to the site, and new to the LS world. I have a 1969 Camaro SS (my profile pic) its currently powered by a 350 V8 / TH350. I plan to do a LS swap. I am looking for any advice (do's and don'ts) for doing the swap. I have a 2001 LS1 block, and looking for 450HP after its all said and done. I also have plans for Hotchkis suspension, and Wilwood brake upgrade. I have built lots of cars over the years, but always old school stuff, never touched an LS engine before. Hoping to go with EFI and make my '69 Camaro reliable, and powerful at the same time. The SBC I have now is a good engine, but I want more power.

cam1fast69
Old 05-10-2015, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Well is you wanting 450 horse at the crank or at the rear tire?

Also do you have a budget ?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:36 PM

450hp at the engine is fine, if I end up with a very street friendly 500hp I am okay with that, not going to be racing it. Just want it to drive and keep up with a new model Camaro. Budget isn't set yet, but having said that I want to build it smart. If I can build it for a decent $$$ then i will, otherwise I will buy a crate motor with warranty.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Get these parts and you'll be there.
~224 cam from a vendor/sponsor
~long tube headers
~custom tune
~dual 2.5-inch exhaust
~Meziere electric unit water pump

You'll make 460 horse with that combo there using a LS6 intake which you should already have by your motor being a 2001 model.

Stay away from 918 valvesprings. Use a nice oil pump, trunion kit and a set of beefy pushrods. Nice lifters helps reliability and keep the valvetrain noise to a minimal. Stay away from flowmaster too!!

You can have peak speed shop to port the LS6 intake and gain some horsepower there or step up to a fast intake if you want more power. The cam I recommend is very popular and proven for number of reasons. Adds power, idles nicely, tune easily, and drive great... not to mention it's easy on parts.

Hope this helps. I believe EVERY sponsor to your right sells/has a 224 cam. Just take your pick with who you are comfortable with. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the help, I actually only have the LS1 short block. I need a good top end combo, computer, and etc.

I thought maybe going with a different style intake and a FAST EFI system? thoughts on that?

Quick Reply: New to the site / New to the LS world