Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Swapping an LS into a B2000

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping an LS into a B2000

Hello, I am new to the LS world. Been doing a lot of research and reading on these engines for a while now since I am wanting to swap a 6.0L into my '87 Mazda B2000 for a little more grunt than the stock carbureted 2.0L can provide. I just got rid of my 550awhp/445tq Lancer Evolution build and cant wait to go fast again. Well hopefully I can learn some more and get maybe even get some parts.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the 4.8 and 5.3 motors are cheaper and easier to get. more interchanging on wiring, pcm, trannys. you wont need a large motor to move that truck. a single turbo on a 4.8 will make it fly. do some homework see if 6.0 is worth it to you. 4l60e trannys are smaller easier to fit most cars/trucks. 4l80e came on 6.0 are bigger and electrical connector is different. stand alone wiring u can do using LT1Swap.com info if using truck wiring, pcm.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Teching In

You're right, I was trying to stick to the 6.0 just for the size but I've decided on the 5.3 LM7 instead and am gonna pick one up with 190k miles tomorrow with the alternator and starter still attached. I want to do a single turbo on it later on once its all in there and running good but I am truly lost as to what ECU to go with, can I do an OEM Tahoe or Silverado and get it tuned at a dyno tuner or do I have to go aftermarket? I am wanting to put a T56 behind the engine as the truck is a stick to begin with and I am not a fan of auto trannys. Can I just use a PCM off a manual transmisson Silverado? And I assume I need to get the engine harness of a manual truck too so it doesn't have the tranny control plug or anything like that for an auto trans.

Sounds like you know a thing or two about doing all of this and I can use all the help I can get.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im in finishing on my buick if i ever get on it again. Running 06 L33 5.3 4L65E tranny stock truck wiring i did using LT1Swap.com info. its dbw throttle. wiring not bad to do ounce you get started in it. Using stock 06 pcm that lt1swap deleted syuff in for me. next im into doing my squarebody chevy truck. 06 5.3 4L60E combo cable throttle. using wiring pcm from a 00 silverado. your combo im unsure what to tell you. if you get wiring with motor i would check into what pcm goes with the engine year application needs to be. generations of 5.3 plays into what you need to do. more parts from same donor usually best. watch engine sections on whats needed. conversion good too. basically get everywhere here ask questions. do your homework before buying other parts. so not wasting money. good luck
Old 06-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Teching In

I don't mind doing some wiring, I don't hate it as much as most people. I'd be getting a Gen3 engine, 03+. I wanna stay drive by cable too. I don't feel like installing a new pedal and wiring it up. Hopefully lt1swap has an email I can contact and ask some of these questions about the harness and PCM.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the electric pedal probably easier than rigging a cable. its just fitting a gas pedal plugging it into tach box and plug harness into tach box too. Lt1swap.com has pics to follow. its not to bad. if go dbw 03 & up on trucks get pcm, tach box, pedal and short wiring harness to match each other. its the easiest. did it in my buick its not bad.

Quick Reply: Swapping an LS into a B2000