Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

First Car out of HS

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First Car out of HS

I just got my first car, a 3.8L 2002 Camaro Convertible. It's the only car I've ever wanted, and I finally have it.

I have many plans for it and I understand that it will be frowned upon for the V6, but one day the LS swap will happen...

I'm looking for help/tips on what should be "modified" or changed out first. I would like new suspension because of how much body roll it has, but don't have a clue on where to start. Any info on anything about this car would be extremely appreciated!

Want to make this known- I have "worked on" this car and am willing to get my hands dirty to get it the way I would like. I've so far done:

Oil change
Spark plugs/wires (wire wasn't built ford tough?)
Replaced Fuel filter
"Cleaned" EGR Valve (only to find out the problem was the cat)

And I recently had an Auto shop install-
High flow Cat
New custom 3 inch piping
Magnaflow Muffler

Anything else that I can adjust, let me know! I just want to work on it!
Attached Thumbnails First Car out of HS-img_8880.jpg   First Car out of HS-img_8879.jpg   First Car out of HS-img_8878.jpg   First Car out of HS-img_8920.jpg   First Car out of HS-img_9014.jpg  

Old 06-18-2015, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome, I wouldn't waste a Penny on it, start saving for the swap.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the Camaro! I'll echo Monmouth's statement and say start saving for the swap. Find yourself a 5.3 from a junkyard if you don't want to pay aluminum block money to save weight. The little things such as accessories for the motor are going to be what will nickle and dime you. I've learned that from trying to help a friend swap a 6.0 into an 89 Firebird. As far as the suspension goes, start with subframe connectors and lower control arms. Work from the rear to the front on these cars. The drivetrain isn't the strongest, but as long as you don't beat on it, it should stay together for a while.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by That_One_Person
Congrats on the Camaro! I'll echo Monmouth's statement and say start saving for the swap. Find yourself a 5.3 from a junkyard if you don't want to pay aluminum block money to save weight. The little things such as accessories for the motor are going to be what will nickle and dime you. I've learned that from trying to help a friend swap a 6.0 into an 89 Firebird. As far as the suspension goes, start with subframe connectors and lower control arms. Work from the rear to the front on these cars. The drivetrain isn't the strongest, but as long as you don't beat on it, it should stay together for a while.
Thanks! I really appreciate the input, from both of you! If the swap is what I should be worried about, what engine should I start saving for? Could you provide a link that has specs for engines that fit? And what do the prices start at? Sorry to shoot all the questions at you , but I'm clueless as where to start and how to go about doing these things. And in the mean time, I guess I can save up, and every now and then buy exterior things for appearance. (not going to rice it up, don't worry)
Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I'm the guy That_One_Person was talking about for the 89 firebird LQ swap... He's definitely right, it gets super expensive super quick... Pretty much any LS engine will fit with enough modification, mostly because they are all almost exactly the same from the outside (keyword almost), and I would suggest a 5.3 like Cody said to begin with... From a junkyard, you can find them for about $500 give or take all day long and they are cast iron so if you wanted to boost it someday, you'd be boost ready due to them having truck heads (keeps compression low but still flows well for cathedral port heads). One thing you will have to do to successfully swap it is buy an F-body oil pan & an LS1/LS6 intake to clear your hood and probably your cowl, along with accessories. But keep in mind that if you ever want to add too much power, you have to think about the rest of your drivetrain. Stock fourth gen LS manual cars have broken their rear ends before because they are like glass. But feel free to PM me any questions you might have and I'll answer everything to the best of my knowledge! And like Cody said, congrats on buying a Camaro! My first car I bought was a 2010 V6 Camaro so we're kind of alike haha.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.8ragtop
Thanks! I really appreciate the input, from both of you! If the swap is what I should be worried about, what engine should I start saving for? Could you provide a link that has specs for engines that fit? And what do the prices start at? Sorry to shoot all the questions at you , but I'm clueless as where to start and how to go about doing these things. And in the mean time, I guess I can save up, and every now and then buy exterior things for appearance. (not going to rice it up, don't worry)
With all due respect, if you have to ask those questions then you are way over your head with this swap. If you have to have a shop do the swap for you then its going to be WAY cheaper to just buy an LS1 car and sell the V6 car. You can find a pretty nice LS1 Camaro for around $8000 nowadays.
Trust me, just by a V8 car if you can't do the swap yourself. You can end up being nickle and dimmed by the swap and have an incomplete car that doesn't run/drive and be out of money, and the car will have little resale value.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
With all due respect, if you have to ask those questions then you are way over your head with this swap. If you have to have a shop do the swap for you then its going to be WAY cheaper to just buy an LS1 car and sell the V6 car. You can find a pretty nice LS1 Camaro for around $8000 nowadays.
Trust me, just by a V8 car if you can't do the swap yourself. You can end up being nickle and dimmed by the swap and have an incomplete car that doesn't run/drive and be out of money, and the car will have little resale value.
this X 1,000. Sell the V6 and get an LS1 to start with. They aren't expensive and if you have to just get a loan and make payments.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to be the odd ball here. If the v6 is what you can afford, stick with it. The 3.8 is a great engine to have through college. You'll save on gas, insurance and a few other maintenance items. You can have a lot of fun and learn the ins and outs of a rwd car.

-shocks and springs
-sway bars

And you'll have a fun Auto-x car. Plus chicks dig verts, and trust me, sorostitutes will have no idea it isn't an LS1.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Awww... Fine, I guess until I'm into the big bucks I'll have to stick with the V6 for now... The reason why I wanted to have a shop do the swap is because
A) I don't have nearly enough equipment to complete it (or the funds for that matter)
B) I don't have as much experience working on engines, so I don't know what would fall into the "needs to be replaced" and "it should be fine for now" categories.

I also love the convertible top so I would have to scavenge around on craigslist or something for that exact vehicle... "2002 Convertible LS1 Camaro" :/
Old 06-23-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Another reason is you'll get whacked insurance wise at your age w/ a V8, so for you a swap is probably the best bet....and vert's are gay
Old 06-23-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.8ragtop
Awww... Fine, I guess until I'm into the big bucks I'll have to stick with the V6 for now... The reason why I wanted to have a shop do the swap is because
A) I don't have nearly enough equipment to complete it (or the funds for that matter)
B) I don't have as much experience working on engines, so I don't know what would fall into the "needs to be replaced" and "it should be fine for now" categories.

I also love the convertible top so I would have to scavenge around on craigslist or something for that exact vehicle... "2002 Convertible LS1 Camaro" :/
Why does it need to be 2002? The 98-02 cars are pretty much all the same with a few minor things here and there.

Quick Reply: First Car out of HS