Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Swapper - Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Swapper - Ohio

Hi there.

LS1Tech is a fantastic site, happy to be part of it! A huge source of info...

I'm a newbie, First time doing something like this but was persuaded / coached by a good buddy (Joe at 513Motorsports in Oxford) who has been around cars a long time.

So, my swap is the 2005 Mazda RX8. We put a stock LS1 and 4L60e into it along with a 8.8 rear end (3.27:1). The plan was to make it a fun daily driver and that we did!

We completed all the fabrication ourselves minus the diff kit from V8 Roadsters. A great kit and fit in nicely. We would have built our own diff kit but ran out of time as the goal was to do the long haul on this years Hot Rod Power Tour. We did get it completed in time. Finished a few days before we left for Madison and had an awesome trip.

Car looks stock on the outside as much as possible. Had to go up in tire size so the 255-40-18's are the only giveaway if any. The exhaust may also be a hint to as I haven't heard too many RX8's sound like this one! We used the Hooker cast manifolds into 2.5" into a single 3" to the muffler. We put a cutout on as well just in case we decide to put it down the track! Oh yeah, I did! First time ever for that too! It was as hot as all get out and I had the car still packed with all the crap for the HRPT week! But it was fun and I am looking forward to seeing what it can do with nearly 300lb less crap in there and hopefully not run in the heat like it was.. It was in Memphis TN.

So far I have all the gauges working. Have a couple of lights on but the ABS and traction control will go off once i get the tone rings back on the axles.

It has been a fun project taking about 4 1/2 months to do after work and weekends. At the moment I am enjoying driving it as is but I keep wondering "what is next". OK, I know AC is next but whats after that! The AC won't take much to work out as there it is pretty much just mounting everything but having to marry the GM to Mazda lines.

Keep all the good information rolling along. I have spent a bunch of time just soaking up what my poor little brain will let me! Sooo much stuff here...

Thanks,

Matthew
Attached Thumbnails New Swapper - Ohio-photo-1.jpg   New Swapper - Ohio-ls1rx8-1.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Good looking car,I'm also doing a 05 rx8 ls1/4l60.what radiator,torque converter and did you use the stock shifter.i love to see more pics.
Attached Thumbnails New Swapper - Ohio-image.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks.

I am using the stack radiator though I did buy a new one to make sure it was as good as it can be. I used a new stock Camaro convertor and a shifter from a trail blazer. Had to cut that up to fit in but once it was all trimmed up and finished it looks good. I did make it work with the stock shifter and linkage but I was not confident that just anybody could jump in and drive it. The spacings were tight and not well defined so for the extra work it was well worth it.

I am going to put another 450 miles on it today! Headed out to Lynchberg VA.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info.if you can can you take a pic of the way the radiator is mounted thanks,I'm not doing a lot work to it right,I'm in AZ 110 degrees in the shade.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club. Not many manual swaps but happy to see more RX8s getting swapped.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lsxis300
Thanks for the info.if you can can you take a pic of the way the radiator is mounted thanks,I'm not doing a lot work to it right,I'm in AZ 110 degrees in the shade.
Joe took some pohotos as we progressed with the build. The radiator install pictures are here:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...55274731359481

You get the idea of what we came up with. These pictures are with the original radiator and it was replaced with a new one just to be on the safe side once we were ready to fill the system. I have not seen the temp go over 196° yet. Even with hard running and sitting in traffic so overall the stock system works well for the stock LS1.

I stuck with the 4l60e as I am currently daily driving it and do plan to for a good while. While I like the stick I am maybe showing my age and leaning to be a little more comfortable on the drive home!

I really enjoy this setup, and with the 52/48% weight distribution it isn't far off what I had before with my 2008 RX8 with the rotary in it. It has some nice Continental Contisportcontact in 255-40-18 that hold very well. The torque is alot of fun!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks

Quick Reply: New Swapper - Ohio