Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie from Finland Europe

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie from Finland Europe

Hi,

I've been messing with cars some 20 years. Mostly welding rusty old cars for a hobby. So I think myself more of a car body guy than a engine expert. I have a 1973 Dodge Challenger with 440 and just sold my 1969 Sportsroof Mustang.

Lately I've been more into engines and we started a boat project with the old man. He made few speedboats in 1960's. That was the time before me. So I bought a empty 21' long speedboat hull. It weights about 400 kg (900lbs) without engine and interior. We are hoping to keep it under 800 kg (1700lbs) when ready.

I started the project with a SBC 383 build with AFR 210cc heads and Victor jr. intake. But I think it would have hardly made to 500hp range with that Scat cast crank. So I sold the engine and got a LQ4 engine from a 1999 Silverado. I got all exited about the articles I've been reading of the possibilities on this engine. So I'm dreaming to make a magic four digit number, but near there will make me happy too! I know our boat would love to have 0,5kg to 1HP ratio.

The engine is complete all iron truck LQ4 with the wiring harness. It had low mileage. I have already torn it to pieces and it was pretty clean inside. I ordered some steel piston rings and Clevite 77 P bearings for the Block. I have a set of LS3 heads and a matching intake. I also have two broken Procharger blowers and if I'm lucky I can make a one that works from this crap.

My first goal is to get the engine back together and running with stock parts. I will upgrade to forged parts if I ever get this thing running in the water and get it acting like a boat. I have been reading the How to build and modify GM LS-series engines by Joseph Potak, but he doesn't get into electronics that much. Like how to mate LQ4 stuff with LS3 throttle body DBW and things like that.

All this electronics and LS stuff is new for me and I'm really thankful for this forum and all the info from you guys. Cheers!

Anza

Quick Reply: Newbie from Finland Europe