Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Dropped Out of School Bus

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped Out of School Bus

Hello from Lockwood, Missouri! I have a 1954 Chevy Bus that used to have a 235 inline 6 in it. Recently, it threw a rod. So that is why I am here. I have a friend who has a 1969 Nova and he put a LQ4 engine in it and he loves it. So I got the bright idea of mating a 5.3 LQ4 and 4l80e engine in the bus. I like the idea of the reliability, and the high rpms it is capable of. I recently performed an axle swap on the bus so now it has 4.10 gears in it, disk brakes, and power steering.
I am not looking to turn the bus into a dragster, I just want reliability. I would like the bus to be able to drive long distances with no problem. My only concern for the 5.3 swap is, will it be able to pull the bus? I know these engines make more torque on the top end instead of low end. The bus probably weighs in the 12,000 lb range (it's better to over estimate) . My goal is to do 70 mph in the bus. I am not worried about fuel economy. Any thoughts or experiences with anything similar would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Dropped Out of School Bus