Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New member from Montana

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member from Montana

Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone here for their input to this site. I will be struggling to complete my first gen111 engine swap project in the next few months and would like to thank all of you in advance for helping me with choices, problems and most likely many mistakes. Ok look forward to getting schooled!
Thanks Charlie in Bozeman montana
Old 03-20-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

welcome to site. Tell us what your project and intentions are. That way you can get directed way to go and not waste money.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the welcome!
My project car is a 49 ford (shoebox)
Unfortunately I've all ready purchased a engine before I became a member/ did my home work)
This next description is from Internet research from the casting numbers that are obvious to see on the engine and the manifold
I have a lm7 5.3 that supposedly came from a 2003 Yukon with very low miles (?) casting #s side of block 12551358
Front of block 12559287
So if I got it right it was available from 99-2003?
I was sold on the project because it came with a camero oil pan and a car style manifold that was advertised as camero so I thought it was a good start.
Manifold casting # 12602477
It was also advertised to have a 92mm throttle body which I have t measured but is there and is a dbc .
The manifold if Iam right is a ls3 and of course has square ports and will not fit.
I have not measured or really inspected the heads but I do not think this block would have had the ls3 heads put on but you never know.
The harness I do not know but would assume that it is from a Yukon?
The exam is a blue green version serv. # 12586242
And now I miss place my notes on it but it sticks with me that this is a later year ecm that does not support dbc but only Dbw ?
So I have some work to do to get things going but I have enjoyed the research I do not like being mislead but I think that the guy I bought it from didn't know what he had either. I was told it had 53k on it before a roll over and it is physically very clean . I will pull some of it apart and take a look this week.
I know now that I need a ls1/2/6 intake manifold for the cathedral head ports.
What i don't know is what's the best way to build the Induction system from?
Build around the ecm?
Buy a stock ls1/2/6 manifold and but a ecm around that?
i searched and found threads saying I could modify the injectors from the ls3 manifold I have to work in the ls1/2/6 but will the injectors jive with the ecm?
Also I would need the dbw tb and the tac and gas pedal and associated harnesses? So Iam trying to figure out which way will cost the least? Iam going to pay a professional to do my wiring so I will contact several shops this week to see what they say too. My gut feeling is that most of my stuff will be incompatible without a lot of modification and that sometimes makes it harder. I will be looking for the most economical way as I still have other projects to do also. So.....what do you think? Lol! I have a couple of books to read as well so between you guys and the ol interwebs it should pan out ! It's gotta be better than the flat head six I have in there now! Ok so get this all straightened out for me and those of you with the parts I need pm me and we'll make a deal. I also will need to relocate my accessories and will be researching that next. Thanks again charlie
Attached Thumbnails New member from Montana-image.jpg  
Old 03-20-2016, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

So.....what do you think?

Well...I think you have a bitchin' ride there...

Also, it sounds like you have a lot of the parts you need to get this project rolling.

I also think you'll be doing a lot of research on here and other sites before you get all the answers you need...

Oh, and welcome to the best LS site I know of.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your on good site. If your comfortable with wiring go to Lt1Swap.com. Brendan has a ton of info. You probably do have the Yukon harness. I done 3 truck harness using site with no problem. I would get engine on a engine stand. The pcm was above left front wheel on Yukon. I would plug it in everywhere, see if its all there. Did you get the truck intake and throttle body to? Truck intake looks pretty good cleaned of garbage casting stuff. If you do go this Dbw set up as you said. You will need to have gas pedal/tach box and short wiring harness. But I believe your pcm can be changed for cable throttle. Brendan can tell you. Good luck and ask questions.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks 76larkman! Yeah I have "a" truck manifold but is it the original who knows? I can't use the truck style because of hood clears and that's why i was excited for the car manifold and if I would have done a bit of reading I would have known about the port change but oh well. The site you recommended is great thanks and i dug out a engine stand tonight and will get it up there this week and start investigating. I wish I had bought a together engine now but maybe it's a blessing in disguise . This ones a clean slate so maybe a cam and ls3 heads? The. I could just run this manifold , it looks brand new. I did call a couple of shops today and they said to do whatever I want and they could just sell me ten thousand dollars worth of parts so it's nice to know that the skies the limit ha! I think I'll just go ls6 with stock injectors and a Dbw body because I have no throttle pedal anyway and the retrofit would be easy. The shops said I could re program my pcm however the parts played out. I don't know but I have time so not to stressed. Sad thing is I have to very built gen1 engines in my shop right now and Iam building a new motor! Gear heads aren't always practical I guess. Ok thanks again all your input is appreciated !
Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just relax be calm. The wiring from truck will work. I did mine on living room floor watching tv. Razor blade, cutters, black tape, heat shrink tube and solder. If your going to do it order the shrink tubing on ebay. I bought 255 feet package shipped to me from china $13 bucks. All sizes in long strips. Best deal I found. If your going to do the DBW throttle you need same year Pedal & tach box to match pcm. Its ez to go Dbw. I used pick up pedal. Just straightened it out and shortened to what I wanted. Its too long for car. I sent you friend request. I help if can. If you use car intake you need car injectors and rails, plug connectors as well.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips! I bought a ls6 manifold with stock fuel rails today from a member here for a good price. So now I just need injectors and tb . I think I'll do what you said and just go to the pick and pull and match my ecu with a pedal and tac and harness and throttle body and have the tuner do the exact with the parts o have ?After looking at the lt1 site you gave me Iam feeling a bit more confident about building the harness. So why not use the stuff I have right. Iam basically a day watchman at my work and have a few hours a day to do projects so why not give it a try (famous last words) . If Iam missing something let me know ok! And where does a guy find stock injectors all I seem to find are performance ones ? Anyway thanks again for answering my posts nothing worse than when no body does!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I needed some injectors for a Tahoe. I found a yard in Minnesota that sold me stock with the rails for $40 bucks shipped to me. I think it was 5 star auto parts?. Since you going car intake, see if you can get for Camaro/firebird/corvette. Also see if you can get the electric connectors. You need them as truck plugs different. Splice them to your harness. Also instead of doing Lt1Swap.com on the fuse and relays. Get yourself a fuse panel from under cavalier(95-05). Then wire that instead. It looks good under hood and has enough places to use. I took mine apart all wiring as had them leave them long as can. I made 1 row hot all time to battery, other on key run/crank/ hot with ignition on. Its not as bad as sounds. It has electric fan and fuel pump relays in it as well you can use. It turned out nice on my truck. You can go my profile look at pics. Its on driver side inner fender. Mounted with pcm by bracket I made.

Quick Reply: New member from Montana