Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

What do I need to do to turbo my LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to do to turbo my LS1?

I know there are millions of postings like this but I still need answers. I have a 2000 trans am ws6, with ls1 and t56 tranny. My engine has 180,000 miles on it and either my head is cracked or just the gasket. So I know I'm going to have to pull the engine anyways. Well I don't have to, to fix the problem but it's not going to hurt. I thought about getting an LM7 and turboing it, or getting a 6.0 cast ion and turbo it. I'm wanting to make somewhere around 600 hp. It will not be my dailey but not just strip either, if I want to go down to the beach with my boys on the weekend I wouldn't want to tow it. So my question is, if it just kept my ls1 (5.7) with 241 heads, what all would I have to do to make what I want possible? I have no problem swapping cams, adding turbos, but I don't want to bore anything out. If I would need to change internals what would I have to change? And how much boost is to much? I also have a 88958733 GM proformance hot cam just laying around, and 806 heads with ls6 springs on them (I'm not sure if that will help but I can just sell tem if not) I'm planning on spending, 2-4k on my build. I know it's stupid cheap to get an lm7 and turbo it (making 600hp) but that won't last long, maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by Dustinbryant; 04-23-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: What do I need to do to turbo my LS1?