Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New 97 Z28 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 97 Z28 Owner

Hello All!

Just got my first Camaro. it's a 97 Z28. it has 180k, but new engine and trans with a custum tune about 20k ago. Bought it from my cousin 2 weeks ago. I originally bought it to strip out to outfit my truck, but it was way too nice to strip so now I have another toy. It's got original paint, original wheels, which need paint. engines been rebuilt, stock bottom end, edelbrock heads, bbk shorty headers, flowmaster catback, fuel system upgrades, tuned by the PO's mechanic with a hypertech programmer III.

It's fun to drive, T-tops off, and gets 25mpg on trips. probably could get a tad more but its a camaro, i have to play a lil bit.

Engine has some upgrades, but body is stock down to the wheels. front seats have been recovered and dash panel replaced.

I don't have to have the fastest car on the road, but this one is enough to be fun. all i need.

looks good with it's new stablemates...

Only thing needs attention really is wheels need painting.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:35 PM

not the warmest of websites... why are there so many "zero replies" to ppl who are just joining ur site. I'm used to the chevy truck sites. they are excited to get new members who love trucks like they do. why aren't you guys as excited about ppl who love your outdated and underpowered cars (compared to new ones) as they are? Hey i'm brand new, but you guys could give a **** a little more.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:36 PM

also i'd like to add, SS is BS. 30 hp one way or the other doesn't matter unless your racing it pro style.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:37 PM

I'm ****** excited about my outdated, underpowered car. why are there som many ZERO replies in the greetings section?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 199730thZ28
not the warmest of websites... why are there so many "zero replies" to ppl who are just joining ur site. I'm used to the chevy truck sites. they are excited to get new members who love trucks like they do. why aren't you guys as excited about ppl who love your outdated and underpowered cars (compared to new ones) as they are? Hey i'm brand new, but you guys could give a **** a little more.
I don't know why but this post made me laugh.

I am on my 5th F-Body (1995 Z28, 2002 SS Anniversary Edition, 1997 Anniversary Edition 3.8, 2002 SS, 1996 Z28 - present car) and we were actually looking for a Vette but for some reason these underpowered and outdated cars keep sucking me in and I bought a 1996 Z28 with about 67000 miles on it instead.

Welcome!
Old 07-08-2016, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 199730thZ28
also i'd like to add, SS is BS. 30 hp one way or the other doesn't matter unless your racing it pro style.
I've owned 2 SS's and 2 Z28's and will take an SS over the Z28 any day of the week. Drive an LS1 SS and you might change your opinion on that.

Your car is nice btw. I actually like those rims and was trying to find some before I got my Z06 replicas.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry not many people browse the intro section. Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted by deebee
I've owned 2 SS's and 2 Z28's and will take an SS over the Z28 any day of the week. Drive an LS1 SS and you might change your opinion on that.

Your car is nice btw. I actually like those rims and was trying to find some before I got my Z06 replicas.
I don't remember for the LT1 cars but the LS1 cars actually made no difference in hp between the SS and Z28 although it was rated differently. It was really just an appearance and suspension package by then.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

JD AMG, I remember when we got our 2002 SS AE (it was brand new) there was great debate on whether the SS was faster than the Z28. I don't think there was ever a conclusion to that argument lol

I recently went from another 2002 SS to a 1996 Z28 (don't ask) and it is night and day difference obviously in favor of the SS. That is what I was referring to when answering OP. He said the SS is "B.S." and I distinctly remember racing a 4th gen z28 convertible in our SS and it disappeared really, really fast behind me. I felt bad for the guy.

I believe the SS with all the SLP options would have more HP than the Z28 if you got the exhaust upgrade but that is pure speculation on my part. I believe they were rated higher than the Z28 by several HP. I just don't recall for certain as it has been so long. We bought the SS because we liked it, not because we thought it was faster.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deebee
JD AMG, I remember when we got our 2002 SS AE (it was brand new) there was great debate on whether the SS was faster than the Z28. I don't think there was ever a conclusion to that argument lol

I recently went from another 2002 SS to a 1996 Z28 (don't ask) and it is night and day difference obviously in favor of the SS. That is what I was referring to when answering OP. He said the SS is "B.S." and I distinctly remember racing a 4th gen z28 convertible in our SS and it disappeared really, really fast behind me. I felt bad for the guy.
Thats LT1 vs LS1 argument, not Z28 vs SS. Get same year, trans and rear gear LS1 SS vs LS1 Z28 and you won't notice a difference in acceleration.

Quick Reply: New 97 Z28 Owner