Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

4x4 RCSB Boosted Cruiser

Old 08-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 RCSB Boosted Cruiser

Hello folks, new guy from Southern Oregon. As the name states, Im building an 01 Z71 RCSB. I have a lq9 from a previous project that will now be going in my truck. Just ordered the hotside turbo kit from Huron Speed, waiting for it to come in. This is my first turbo build, so any(good constructive) info would be great. Pics will come later.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Save up for a built 4l80. 4wd will kill a 60 with a boosted lq9. Somewhere around 7-8 lbs of boost will rip the tailshaft out on a good launch. Since the lq9 is out of the truck, change cams. Even the lowly (and cheap) 02+zo6 cam will give a marked improvement over stock with boost, but a much bigger aftermarket cam would be better (but costlier). Keep the big ugly truck intake, as most others are inferior, even at a higher price. If you plan to use your truck as a 4wd truck, ignore the recommendations for huge turbos. Smaller turbos spool faster, and keep the low end grunt that most of your driving will want. Even the most mild of boosted lq9's will max the factory MAF, so ditch it and wire in a separate IAT sensor for your SD calcs (because the truck MAF has built in IAT). Post turbo exhaust needs to be relatively free flowing, but that can lead to drone. Some of the truck forums have specifics on how to weld in a length of pipe perpendicular to your exhaust that effectively cancels most highway drone without hurting power. If you run out of fuel, you can always set your shift rpm's lower until you upgrade. That lets you still have your lower rpm fun at full boost until you upgrade. Even with shields, if a plug wire runs closer than 1/2" from the exhaust manifolds, it eventually burns through. While the motor is out, determine what boost you plan to run. if you think you may ever go much over 12-15#'s, open your ring gaps. Otherwise, leave them stock. There are a million other little things, but I tire of typing.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Ill be getting a 4l80 a little later. Thanks for the heads up. Guess I should start a build thread and list out what all I have and plan to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 RCSB Boosted Cruiser