Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

g-body 4.5L whippled ls swap newbie from NC

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g-body 4.5L whippled ls swap newbie from NC

Hello ls1 tech members I'm beginning a ls swap into my 85 Monte Carlo ss. This will be my first ls engine build from the ground up but I'm not completely new to the ls engine world. I frequently search the forum for various info from time to time but now I figured what the heck might as well join now that I've pulled the trigger on my ls engine swap project. It's going to be a ls7 based engine using the ls next block and a 4.5L whipple supercharger so any helpful info, tips or suggestions will be useful since it's the beginning stages of the build. FYI I was the one that purchased helicoil's whipple that he posted in the classifieds section, totally pleased with it, exactly as advertised. I know that there's pro chargers and turbos that would've done the job but I felt like this was more my style for forced induction. Maybe when I get a little further into this I'll start a build thread.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Always liked G-Body's

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

sweet where in nc u located
Old 10-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Killerrat
It's going to be a ls7 based engine using the ls next block and a 4.5L whipple supercharger so any helpful info, tips or suggestions will be useful since it's the beginning stages of the build. .
Sounds like a great project. At that power level I suggest you start with boxing / reinforcing the frame, replace the rusty body mounts and swap out the weak 7.5" rear MCSS's came with.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Yes I like the g body as well I've owned it since I was 14, I'm in kinston nc, and I've already done some strengthening of the frame and the 7.5 10 bolt got busted a long time ago it was swapped with a 12 bolt from a chevelle. But I've got new plans I'm no longer putting the engine in the mcss instead it's going in a 71 ss nova that hasn't been out of the car trailer in 15 years I feel it will handle the power a little better than a g body maybe I'll just put a NA Ls engine in the monte after the current project is complete.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Yes I like the g body as well I've owned it since I was 14, I'm in kinston nc, and I've already done some strengthening of the frame and the 7.5 10 bolt got busted a long time ago it was swapped with a 12 bolt from a chevelle. But I've got new plans I'm no longer putting the engine in the mcss instead it's going in a 71 ss nova that hasn't been out of the car trailer in 15 years I feel it will handle the power a little better than a g body maybe I'll just put a NA Ls engine in the monte after the current project is complete.

That's cool, I'm from Wilmington. Been to Kinston years ago when they used to run the CCRA there.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Lol the nova used to be a ccra car back in the day it's been put away for a long time but I think it's time to bring it out. It's still got the ccra stickers on the windshield
Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Teching In

I used to love going to watch them race.

I think they blamed that guy from Snow Hill for ruining it
Old 10-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Teching In

You talking about jeff tyson? Raced a mustang I think.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:38 AM
Teching In

You talking about jeff tyson? Raced a mustang I think.

Yeah, a local guy ran in the CCRA with a 71 Camero and I remember his crew chief being very bitter about that guy. Blamed him for ruining the series.

Quick Reply: g-body 4.5L whippled ls swap newbie from NC