Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New in Kansas

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New in Kansas

Ok, I'm thinking about switching sides here (I would've never dreamed that I would ever consider this!). What I'm talking about is selling or trading my current car which is a 2002 Mustang GT for a Trans Am. I have only been officially a member for just about one week, but have learned a ton (and still learning) about the LS1 powered cars and I must say, I am impressed. Of course, it doesn't help me that I work with two people that have them (04 GTO and 02 Trans Am).

I have owned many Mustangs since 1993 and to be honest, there isn't any other car that I would ever consider buying...until now. The one that I'm most proud of was my '93 Notchback with a 347 stroker. Getting back to the point...I have been doing the math regarding modifications to the two valve 4.6L and it still comes up short to the stock LS1. But we aren't here to talk about Mustangs on LS1tech.com are we?

Now, I just drove my first Trans Am yesterday afternoon and I am hooked. However, I'm a little bothered by it's road manners. Other than my introduction, this is the reason for this post.

The car I drove was a black 2001 Trans Am 6-speed with 53,400 miles. It is being offered by a dealership in here in the Kansas City metro area for $14500. I took a veteran of these cars with me to inspect the car and found that it has a SLP Loudmouth catback, and SLP lid installed. Keep in mind that this is the first time I've been behind the wheel of one of these, so I have no idea how it should or shouldn't feel like. When we took the car out for the test drive I noticed the backend felt extremely light. Is the common? When I went into a turn (not any harder I would take my Mustang), the backend wanted to come around on us. Actually, for a split second we were staring at the guardrail. Is this something to expect with an F-body or is there something wrong with the suspension of this particular car to allow this to happen? I feel that my Mustang (99.9% stock) would've handled much better. Also, it appears that the clear coat on the roof (behind the t-tops) is coming off (about the size of the tip of a ball point pen) in various locations. The rear bumper cover paint is spidering too. Again, are these common problem areas for these cars?

Deep down I know I should find an unmolested car. This way I can try to eliminate as much doubt about any unforeseen problems as possible.

Thanks for any advice, insight, etc. in the above questions and/or issues.

Everette
Gardner, Kansas
Old 08-18-2007, 02:53 AM
11 Second Club

If I was you I would keep looking untill you find the one that really appeals to you. I looked for a month or two and found mine 100+ miles away. I bought mine for $18000 in January of this year. It is a 2000 SS which only had 15,000 miles on it It was in absolute perfect condition and had leather Interior. As far as the back end feeling light, I havn't had that problem. Actually my dad has a 2004 Mach 1 which is way easier to get the rear squirly in a turn and or dropping the clutch @ 4k kinda scarry actually. I think Camaro's rear ends stay pretty straight as compared to Mustangs IMO. Anyways welcome to the site and hopefully you do buy a mustang killer, I mean an F-Body
Old 08-18-2007, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Yep, I wood keep looking
Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnsfds
The rear bumper cover paint is spidering too.
Sounds like somebody backed into something.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

like stated above, i'd keep searching until you find the exact one you want. i bought a '00 SS last november after getting hooked on a test drive. the car was CLEAN, but stock with 92K miles. as that number QUICKLY approached 100K, i decided it was time to bail and find what i wanted. i put the car up for sale in front of a buddies body shop at 9 o'clock and it was sold by 5:30pm the NEXT DAY...and i made money on it.

the car i have now is a 26K mile sunset orange '01 SS, the EXACT car i wanted. i drove all the way to Chicago to buy it from southwest missouri. it was actually JZHeyde's car, a member on here.

if you're serious about switching over from the dark side...make sure you're getting EXACTLY what you want, and not something that a spoiled 17 year old beat on all through high school. there are plenty of nice F-bods to be found out there, you just gotta look.