Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

CAFE and the v-8 = endangered species

Old 02-26-2008, 02:31 PM
LS'
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAFE and the v-8 = endangered species

Hi I'm a new member. This is an especially good time join since C.A.F.E. is going to take a run at making the V-8 extinct. We need a coping strategy. After scanning Ford and GM hype it's my opinion that very' very soon we won't see a V-8 in any vehicle model that sells in large #'s. EG corvettes yes but Camaro's {less than $33k} NO! [So buy your turnkey LS3 crate motor now cause soon there won't be many left.] Ford has flat-out said they were going to use turbocharged 4's and 6's to replace the v-8. (Since this time around, both pickups and suv are included in the 35 mpg fleet wide average gas mileage benchmark- no car Co. can affort to sell a lot of units in any model hat has a v-8.) So what the best plan of attack?-LS'
Old 02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Launching!

IBTL
Old 02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

once cellulosic ethanol is widely avail this wont be an issue.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
once cellulosic ethanol is widely avail this wont be an issue.
You really think that will happen?? All I keep hearing about is how its "so counterefficient to produce", and how it would cost too much.

If we could mass produce an alcohol fuel, not only would it be cheaper than petroleum, but it would be clean for the environment, make just as much power (with the right engine modifications), and it would be an unlimited resource. Imagine cheap fuel and no more fuel economy regulations or global warming bullshit?? Now that would be nice.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Threads like this scare me.....And as coping goes.....there are tall buildings all around me...
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it is too expensive now, but when it is mass produced it will make it cost less $$. It is really up to the megabillions oil companies arent willing to give up, and them keeping this process buried. I mean we could be totally off of oil right 5 yrs ago but there is too much $$$$$ keeping it around.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you on drugs?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-26-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah because I think oil companies that stand to lose trillions of dollars if cellulosic ethanol were avail would keep the technology buried, I must be a total moron.

are you naive?

Do you just read or hear things that come from various media and assume theyre true?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 PM
LS'
Teching In

As I interpret your remarks, broadly speaking you guys don't see a problem and would not entertain the possibility of a problem here. The last time big brother started fooling with the auto scene we got 55 mph speedlimits and mustangs ('79) a 3 legged dog could out run. I 'll leave the threat to the 'tall building inclined'.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
LS'
Teching In

Theoretically we live under a "free-market system" yet given absolute Corportate control[$$$ over population's vote] of the economy, we shall never see the promised "American Dream" = a "Fair-Market system".
So What?
If high fuel prices shift more $$$ to the ultra rich, then there will never be a "magic fuel" solution-whatever that magic fuel might be.

So lets address the original question posed, and not hijack the thread to bandwagon one' own pet cause.

To restate the problem: even if GM could offer a LS3 $25K Camaro, it could not afford to sell it to the public- because too many units would be sold and GM could not meet its fleet wide mpg target of 35 mpg (this fleet includes all pick-ups and suv's this time around.)
I happen to like the new LSX motors and the new hemi's and 5.4L 4v ford motors.
I don't want to see them go away in exchange for some narrow power band wining V-6 or V-4 that has be turbocharged!

Now If you like these motors too but can't afford to buy a vet to get one- then what's your plan for future v-8 engine acqusition? LS' thread author

Search this Thread