Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new from dallas. 180deg change of direction and QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new from dallas.

hi from the land of the "thirty thousand dollar millionaire" I was introduced here by another ls1 driving **** from dallas whom I met in training for my new job. HI!!!

almost this time last year I bought an old muscle car. a 71 chevy. I knew nothing about cars, so I pretty much got taken on everything. its ridiculous how much I spent on that thing and how much is left to spend. I finally started keeping a spreadsheet and the money goes fast.

so I decided to learn and I found out that these old cars are pretty darn easy to work on.

so, since my POS chrysler daily driver is crapping out and I pretty much now feel I can work on old cars myself, I had decided to buy something like a 63 nova and put a hiperf 327 in it for a daily driver and buy a 50s chevy truck to go to home depot and for towing.

well, I think I just changed those plans. with the price of gas, and the affordability of ls1/ls6 cars, and lq4 trucks, I just decided Im coming into the present and I want to go with TWO gen III vehicles.

so, maybe you can help me here. I know that these things are amazing. on my other forums we have a lot of respect for the power making ability and gas mileage of the gen III

my questions.

1. I want a 98+ camaro. I want it to have 450rwhp and handle a 150shot of n2o from time to time. I can pocket port heads if I need to. Can I do this for 15k ALL said and done

2. I want a 99+ single cab truck with a 6.0 lq4 or lq9. I want it to be quick (400rwhp) and handle a 150 shot of nitrous. can this also be done for 15k

3. I was thinking of doing rollers and adding the motors myself so I could build from parts. is this a good idea or do I need to be looking for a complete car?

so I guess my budget for 2 gen IIIs is about 30k. oh, and I want some big rubbers for the rears. like 315s

am I being unrealistic or is this acheivable within my budget ???

thank you all and I look forward to being an active member of this board.

Last edited by 71 chevy; 05-22-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

another question people (no love for dallas?)

I heard the 6.0 L engine is better and cheaper. I would personally prefer the iron block, but are can they make more power? also, what can they be overbored to?

thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you all. I'll mosey on to the other areas and ask the questions.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got about 10k including the price of the car tied up in my 98 z28. Hoping to put down around 450 with heads/cam. If I had another 5k i would put on a blower and look at 550+.... 450 is easily done with about 5k in mods (headers,exhaust,intake,heads,cam,tuning) if you shop around. If buy stuff brand new your going to spend way more for high quality stuff (AFR, Trickflow, FAST, etc). Good Luck.