Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

First time engine builder

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First time engine builder

Hello, ls1tech!

I joined this forum because i recently found myself the proud owner of two new objects of great interest to me.

1. a 1978 Datsun 280z
2. a bare small block (year and model unknown, i know it's a gen I, guess i should look at the thing :p)

i purchased the car last year because i wanted an inexpensive project car to learn how to do welding, fabrication and automotive mechanics. i've never played with an automobile before (beside tune-ups and the odd brake job) but i've always been really into cars. i decided i'd get the most fun out of my project by swapping the stock L28 straight six with a small block chevy. a good friend of mine and total gear-head told me it wouldn't be too hard to make some nice power out of an sbc and i can't wait to start building.

to reiterate, i know NOTHING about acutal engine building besides knowing how engines work and having a basic understanding of the parts involved.

i'm looking into buliding a naturally aspirated, fuel injected engine producing between 350 to 400 hp that's reliable enough to drive around during the summer months and on the weekends. i'd also like something with a smoother sound to it as opposed to the sound you get from big lumpy strokers. the gear head buddy of mine recommended a slight over bore to my 350 block paired with some nice flowing 305 heads to get higher compression. he says a standard rotating assembly with forged pistons and this block/head combo and applicable cams should be good for around 400 reliable horsepower. i know that there's a lot more involved and please excuse my ignorance but this is what i know so far and so that's where i'm starting. i'm sure there's plenty of meat in this forum concerning everything i'm trying to do (and maybe some folks who have built exactly what i'm looking for) so i don't expect many responses, but any advice i can get is always welcome!

thanks and i look forward to picking some brains!