Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Reduction LS1/LS2 Starters

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gear Reduction LS1/LS2 Starters

Anyone used one of these gear reduction aftermarket starters for LS1 or LS2? They are about a third of the cost of a OEM LS2 starter listed at gmpartsdirect.

http://www.s10v8.com/store/product_i...products_id/63
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unbelievable price. Would be good to know if they are a viable option.

Not a lot of aftermarket options in LS starters.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an aftermarket starter that looks like that one, I have yet to finish my swap, but it fit the same as the truck starter, that I got from the yard. That's a decent price, one of my buddies is in the auto electric bussiness and sold me mine for his cost and I only paid a few dollars less then that. You do have to watch, some of the cheaper starter are imported junk
Old 10-11-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like a re-pop stock starter. They're all over ebay.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
That looks like a re-pop stock starter. They're all over ebay.
It may be a repop but something else is different if it fits both an LS1 and LS2. I have an LS1 starter and it won't fit the 05 GTO T56 (LS2). The LS2 starter from GM is expensive (well so is the LS1 starter) and that's why I started looking to the aftermarket. The mounting flange on the LS1 starter is too tall to fit the GTO T56 bellhousing - since the engine block patterns are the same (I assume) is the nose just a different shape to accomadate both platforms?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

i got me a summit mini-starter (has csr engraved all over it w/ a summit sticker on it)
Old 10-11-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by red83
i got me a summit mini-starter (has csr engraved all over it w/ a summit sticker on it)
Is that starter working for you?

I had one but had to return it. The gear barely engaged the flywheel, and the electrical lugs ended up on the block side of the starter. The thing just didn't fit on my LS2
Old 10-12-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

REALLY!!!!!!!! I do have Summit Starter.I have not use on it..I better return it back...Thanks for sharing...

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

I had one but had to return it. The gear barely engaged the flywheel, and the electrical lugs ended up on the block side of the starter. The thing just didn't fit on my LS2
Old 10-12-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Do you use LS1 manual (T56)? what kind of clutch/flywheel you use?
Mine is LS1 manual T-56 and SPEC+3 clutch/flywheel...

Since you have LS2 what kind of starter you use on LS2?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

What all of you LS2 recommend to buy aftermarket starter> LS2 motor-LS1 T-56?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I have an LS2 crate motor with an LS7 clutch and flywheel. I am running a TKO with Keisler bellhousing, but that shouldn't matter as far as the starter goes.

The summit one lets you mount the starter with the motor on the top or botton. Pretty much have to have the motor on the top, and if you do that the lugs are on the block side. Totally unaccessible.

When I mounted the Summit starter I had if didn't sit flush with the back of the block. As a result the gear didn't come out as far as it should have. Only the top part of the starter gear engaged about half the flywheel gear. Didn't seem like it would live long.

The crate motor is essentially a 2005 vette motor. I don't know what the differences are in starters, but none of the local auto parts places even carry a starter for that motor. Dealer only item, and at $325+ not a cheap one. Tried to get a used one out of a Silverado, but had trouble sourcing one in the local pick and pulls.

Ended up going with an MSD starter. Maybe not the cheapest option, but it has proven to be a good starter. One of the few that said it worked with and LS2. It has the motor in line with the gear, so gives better access to the crank sensor plug than the summit one did. Cranks like a ****.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Launching!

I have an LS2 crate motor with an LS7 clutch and flywheel. I am running a TKO with Keisler bellhousing, but that shouldn't matter as far as the starter goes......

Ended up going with an MSD starter. Maybe not the cheapest option, but it has proven to be a good starter. One of the few that said it worked with and LS2. It has the motor in line with the gear, so gives better access to the crank sensor plug than the summit one did. Cranks like a ****.
Does your starter/block have offset bolt pattern? The MSD starter pictured in Jegs does (GM LS-Series APS Starter 121-5096). My LS1 block does not but I'm running the 05 GTO T56 - that's my concern - if I order a GM starter for the goat it won't fit the LS1 block. The GM description just says its for LS series engines but if some have the offset bolt pattern how can they sell a starter with that description? But if I can get a gear reduction starter for approx the same price as an OEM starter I might as well.

Edit:
Whoops, my mistake - my starter/block is offset - just went out and checked it - pretty subtle, the offset is about the width of one of the bolts - don't know why I didn't notice that before. So this may be a solution for me after all.

By the way - how does one use a strikethrough font?

Last edited by BBPanel; 10-12-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Carshop, Inc has em too. Maybe they'll chime in!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

APS Starter, GM LS1-LS7 Engines
Part No. 5096
Features
Gear reduction of 4.4:1 improves torque for great cranking
Three horsepower motor provides power for high compression engines
Ball bearing supported armature and pinion gear
Downsized design helps clearance issues with oil pans and exhaust
Mount can be clocked to assist in mounting I probably need it move little down

That part Correct?
Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

I found new other starter>

http://www.powermastermotorsports.co..._starters.html

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/pwm-9509%20%28supplement%29.pdf<<<NICE Clockable
Old 10-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Teching In

im stuck in the same situation on a ls1 build and lq4 pickup mated to ls2 bells and gto trannys.. so u guys are saying a gto starter or the carshop inc wont match up to the blocks paltform ? i thought a gto starter was my only option.. this is the only thing holding me back on trunin over the engine . and i cant find much info
Old 10-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackwidowZ
im stuck in the same situation on a ls1 build and lq4 pickup mated to ls2 bells and gto trannys.. so u guys are saying a gto starter or the carshop inc wont match up to the blocks paltform ? i thought a gto starter was my only option.. this is the only thing holding me back on turning over the engine . and i cant find much info
Well I thought that originally because I thought the LS1 bolt pattern was not offset and the LS2 is. But it would appear all LS series are offset - perhaps someone can confirm that. My starter, which I thought was for an LS1 (I had it bolted up before mounting the trans) must be for some other combo because the mounting flange the bolts go through is too tall for my LS1 block-GTO T56 and the nose is too big as well. I have googled and run the p/n and come up with nothing. That's what is confusing because all of these aftermarket starters (and the GM p/n 10465385) say they are for the LS series, they don't differentiate between any combination - perhaps they are backward compatible?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

work fine for me. on a ls1 style motor. lugs are the right side on the starter also. engages perfect
Old 10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

From what I have seen, the starters will not work with ls2 t56 combos.... I have not had a ls2 t56 to mock up with yet... I have bolted them to ls2 and ls7 engines on a stand.....
Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

work fine for me. on a ls1 style motor. lugs are the right side on the starter also. engages perfect
I looked at the Summit site today. they seem to have changed it so the lugs are on the correct side now. Maybe they fixed the engagement issue at the same time.

Good info.

Quick Reply: Gear Reduction LS1/LS2 Starters