Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Filters for APS kit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Turbo Filters for APS kit??

This might be a solution to the inlet pipes sucking shut at 13psi.

...Someone decided they needed the filters to my APS kit more than I did while I was having my bumper painted and during the one and only night it was not parked in the garage in over a year. Anyway, I was going to replace them with the AEM dry filters as they seem to flow better than the rest. It would cost about $120 shipped for two 3" diameter by 8" long filters. The problem I have is the kit was designed around a Trans Am and they run into the fog lights this way. You have to angle them down and force them under the fog and I hate that.

The other idea I was contemplating is getting some gutterguard or the like from Home Depot, cutting it to wrap around the inlet of the turbo inlet pipe, putting a replacement HKS filter on top and then another piece of gutter guard on top sandwiching the filter and then using a t-bolt style clamp to hold it all in place. I know alot of people run their turbos without anything but a screen, although it isn't recommended. The turbo inlet pipes are inside of the bumper so I wouldn't have to worry about sucking up water or debris. All I really need to worry about is dust and this would take care of that. My question is, would this cause a restriction since there is very little surface area? I don't know what the filter replacement is like but it would seem almost like running no filter at all...?

Also:
-It will be approx 25% of the cost of the conical filters.
-I won't have to worry about hitting the fog lights.
-The inlet pipes are known for sucking shut at around 13psi due to the restriction in the conical filters. The HKS filter charger replacement would almost be like running no filter at all- right?? I should be able to see 18psi if I wanted to without the the inlet sucking shut.

Here is the filter replacement on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HKS-Super-Power-...d=p3286.c0.m14

So what do you think? AEM Conical Filters or HKS replacement filter with gutter guard? Anyone try this before?

Last edited by SStolen; 10-11-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well its pretty common to just mount a k and n directly to turbo inlets. Now the aps being so low its hard to say how that work with deeper water. The location they have is pretty good but those inlets suck shut. Is it really due to the air filters being too rstrictive or just to lousy inlet tubes.

I think a new inlet tube is the answer personally and intend to see if can at least figure out a fix if aps won't send out free replacement upgraded tubes which they should do.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isaw some bad *** filter that would work great ill try to find them
Old 10-13-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any help woulod be appreciated. I'm cutting it down to the wire now.... Dyno is on the 21st. Shipping from most places is 3-7 business days.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could dyno with no intake tubes and no air filters. That would elminate the filters and tubes sucking shut and should be safe for a couple of dyno runs.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
You could dyno with no intake tubes and no air filters. That would elminate the filters and tubes sucking shut and should be safe for a couple of dyno runs.
Probably not the best idea...it would be good practice to have the car the way it will be run afterwards for the dyno.

Quick Reply: Turbo Filters for APS kit??