LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition module?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition module?

Ok i have narrowed my problems with my car down to the ignition module i think. car will shut down without any warning of any kind. sorta like someone just turned the key off. you can be bee bopping along then out of no where it shuts off. turn it over does even some much as give me a fart! when it does this its not getting any spark. has new msd coil, opti, plugs and wires. So thats what leads me back to the ignition module. Any ideas beyond that? Anyone looking to get rid of an extra module they have laying around?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

it very well may be the module they sometimes tend to overheat and will fail, i would suggest using a couple washers behind the bracket when you bolt it to the head, i had a similar problem: i was doing a burnout in the parking lot at school and the car was ripping rubber and then when i went to drive away it shut off on me i was lyk wtf, and the car wasn't getting any spark and would just turn over and never start, and dude i would spend the money once and buy a brand new one, and just b/c it works on another car doesn't mean it will work for yours i tried my friends and it didn't work and then i replaced everything else in the ignition, and i was pissed that it was a ignition module problem, so try that and if it doesnt work let me know ill be glad to help you figure it out, im pretty good with electrical ****

later
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the exact same problem. Before my engine rebuild I was cruising on the expressway when I felt the motor stumble then I looked in the mirror and saw a puff of smoke then the engine shut off while I doing about 80 and I was trying to start it but no go still haven't figured it out. Lucky for me I got a backup module that I gonna swap in today a see what happens! In 4 years ive been through alot of modules and I must say heat is its worst enemy ! need help let me know
Old 10-11-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ignition module!!! change it...make the difference of night and day
Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys i wanted to make sure i put a new one in and keep you posted
Old 10-12-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well new module is in, just turns over and does nothing! please help!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a spark plug tester and check for spark...start from there ! Also check to see if any codes pops up. keep us posted !
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no codes... no spark when it happens. Think its stemming from the retarded Pass Key theft deturrent system. If the computer does not read the correct resistance from that system at all times it will shut down the fuel system and the ignition. Just a hunch right now but i am going to try and bypass that system and see what happens.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I definitely don't have much experience with the theft deterrent crap...
I believe you have to check the resistance of the little chip on the key right ?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

what you ave to do is check the resistance with a multimeter and then go to an electronic store and get a resistor for that resistance my key was 1400 so i had to get a 1.4 k resistor
Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah thats what i plan on trying since i dont know what else it could be
Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

ok guys im glad i found this thread as i am having a very similiar problem, i just replaced my opti about 5k miles ago, and it will start and drive fine 4-5 times in one day then it seems everytime i try to leave wherever i am i go to start my car and it will crank to the moon but never catch and start. i just replaced my plugs and wires so my whole ignition system is pretty much new.

could someone possibly show me where the ignition module is and give me some more basic info on the part, like cost and what causes it to go wrong. im totally stumped here and dont feel like buying a new opti and replacing it if its not the problem.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

the module is located on the driver side head right about the ignition coil. Module are a little iffy as to why the burn out my guess is because of its location on the head it can absorb a lot of heat. The first time mine went out I had started the car drove around the block fast as hell and before I could make it back I felt like the engine try to shut off and so as I got to the house it completly shut off and I couldn't start again. Next day brought a module it started right up ! 1st thing u should do is get urself a scan tool or go to a parts store and have them check for fault codes on your ecm/pcm..if nothing comes up start checking for spark at the coil then go from there !

Quick Reply: Ignition module?