LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 Z28 cuts out and surges please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 93 Z28 cuts out and surges please help!

Hey, Thanks in advance. I search the forums a lot but never post. So here goes a long winded I need help story. SORRY!
It's a 93' 6spd with the following. moroso cai, air foil, edelbrok shorties, ory, no cat, 3" into a flowmaster, EGR and AIR injection removed, TB bypass, hypertech thermomaster? chip, 160' tstat.
I purchased the car a little over a year ago. I have been real happy with it.

It is cutting out/missing. When I drive it, it seems to get a little better after it warms up. If I rev to about 3500 and ride the clutch out is about the only way to take off. If you try to take off from a stop and step on it hard it starts popping and cutting out like CRAZY.

Ever since I got the car it smells like it runs rich, I never get an SEL for it, old or new plugs aren't black though. It would very rarely, maybe once a month have a bit of a miss/stumble to it. Then in the last month or so it would do it a couple of times a week in the morning, worse then before. After about a block or so it would clear up and run fine. THEN IT HAPPENED! I was driving along and what ever it is finally went. The car started bucking like a bull and cut off completely. It fired right back up and barely made it home. Since then I have done the following:
-replaced leaking front crank seal, and harmonic balancer (new aftermarket).
-wiped oil off of opti and cleaned wires. Ran great for about a minute, then it started surging from about 500rpm to maybe 1800.
-Test drove with the same symptoms as before.
-I replaced the coil (tested bad) with a MSD coil.
-tested the ICM at autozone.
-replaced wires with BWD magnacore.
-Checked a few plugs they look new and have maybe a 1000miles on them BOSCH iridium.
-Checked header bolts all were tight.
-checked for vaccum leaks.
-replaced opti (it did have oil inside of it) with ac-delco.
-checked connector to opti, replaced tps with different tps (voltage was a little off but is good now).
-replaced maf and electrical connector.
-replaced fuel filter, tested fuel pressure it's ok.
-disconnected the o2's didn't help, reconnected the o2's.
I have tripple checked for vaccum leaks and spark plug wires installed correct and not burnt.
Sorry for such a long winded post but I'm completely stumped on this one.
thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any ideas? anyone!

Quick Reply: 93 Z28 cuts out and surges please help!