LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

i just recently built a h/c/i lt1. One part i have left is a steel line that runs from head to the other on the back side towards the fire wall. I can see the two holes it goes into, but not sure if it routes on the drivers side or passanger side, and where the front part of the line goes?? any help would be great!
thanks for all the help
Old 10-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Hey I found this info the other day it's from this site

http://www.projectlt10.com/content/m...ndex.php?id=31

It has a lot of info on the lt1.
My steam pipe routes up the psg side of the intake and connects to the driver side radiator hose. (the throttle body is bypassed)

Steam Vents
The LT1 has strategically placed steam vents at the back of both cylinder heads. Since the heads are the hottest part of the engine, pockets of steam can be more easily generated there. The steam vents are connected together by a crossover vent tube at the back of the heads, which directs any steam and a small flow of coolant to the front of the engine where it flows through the throttle body, warming it for improved cold weather performance. After passing through the throttle body, most of the steam is condensed back into liquid coolant and returned to the system.

In LT1 B/D-cars, coolant exiting the throttle body is passed directly into a pressurized coolant reservoir where any air remaining in the coolant is completely scavenged. In LT1 F-cars, coolant from the throttle body connects to the heater outlet via a vented "tee" connector, where any trapped air in the system can be bled off manually. Eliminating steam pockets and foam in the coolant allows for more uniform cooling system performance, preventing hot spots and potential overheating.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info, so if i were to by pass my throttle body aswell, do i just need to T that steam line into my heater hose and then go into the water pump?