Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

SOME 1 PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOME 1 PLEASE HELP

ok so yesterday i got nittos for the first time on the 6speed and we were out practicing launch, and on the way home the gears started whining louder than my exhaust at about 40mph. and i run hooker LT's with a wide open x pipe. anyways so today, my girlfriend was driving home from work and she said that at 65mph she was just cruising on 290 and put it into 5th and the car made a loud pop, like she hit a big nasty piece of metal ( towards the rear end ) and then at the same time the nose slammed down ( but the rpms stayed the same cruising in 5th so i know it wasnt 3rd ) and then the nose came up and the car drove like normal and the whinning stopped for a little while and came back lightly about 20minutes later. all the car has is headers, x pip, and lid. whats wrong with my rear people?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: SOME 1 PLEASE HELP

Umm...try getting a 12 bolt..lol. I think the 6-speed is too much for the 10 bolt. I just put a 12 bolt in mine. It's suppose to be arriving monday or tuesday. I busted the pinion gear and tore up the ring gear in my 10-bolt. But it wasnt a whinning sound. when it first started showing signs it was more of a "putt putt putt" noise. I dunno what to tell u about a whinning and then it popping like that. take the rear cover off and see if everything looks normal. or take it somewhere to do so. Laterz, hope u find out what it is. Justin
Old 09-13-2003, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of that doesnt make sense. How can the car slow down but the rpm stay the same unless the axle broke (the car wouldn't move) or the clutch started to slip really badly. What does the car sound like when you drive it? Repetetive clunking is bad. A little whine and you'll be fine, you just put a hurtin on the gears. A few weeks after mine started clunking, two teeth fell off the ring gear. I replaced the gears and now after some slicks at the track, its clunking again, but I see no cracks in the gears, so we'll see.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

A popping sound means something ain't right generally inside rear axle cover. It could be gears, posi unit, etc. Take rear cover off and Inspect and see. Cheers
Old 09-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Teching In

the tires locked up thats why the nose slammed, no theres no clunking, just the loudest Honing ( whining ) sound you have ever heard