Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GP GXP vs. Integra with cam'd type R DC5 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GP GXP vs. Integra with cam'd type R DC5 engine swap

I was on my way home with the gf at about 4 am in the morning friday on a highway that i see maybe one car the whole 45 min drive. I stopped to do some testing since i didn't know if my car was running strong because of something that happened earlyer in the night. Anyways i do some launchs and i see some HIDs coming up fast behind me. I was thinking it was a bmw or something like that, anyways i let it past and i see a Intergra with a CF hood, lowered and black rims fly by. I know about the car through a friend, so i play catch up. I get him to stop we talk abit, then go from a dig. He spun bad at the launch and I pulled 1 and a half car lenghts right away, then slowly pulled 1 more car lenght till 130 km/h and put another 2 up to 205 km/h. He was on race gas, full bolt on, cam'd and just put the engine in 3 weeks ago.

The reason i was doing some testing is I lost to a 275 hp cobalt ss in a short 70-140 km race, only by 2 cars. I'm hoping it was his manual that made the difference. He would shut down right when i would start gaining and wouldn't go from a dig because he said he had bad tires.

Last edited by StealthV8; 10-14-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so it was a DC2 (94-01) integra with a k-swap and you beat it?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 AM
***Repost Police***

Could be a B18C5 swap... if it was a Type R K-series swap I might question it a bit, since a cammed K-series with that radical of a tune *should* be a ~110mph trapspeed car. But like they say, anything can happen on the street.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Could be a B18C5 swap... if it was a Type R K-series swap I might question it a bit, since a cammed K-series with that radical of a tune *should* be a ~110mph trapspeed car. But like they say, anything can happen on the street.
true... olders hondas that are k-swapped are pretty quick!

but he said DC5, and DC5 is the k-series motor, thats y i was questioning him.
I use to own a k-swapped honda before i bought my camaro, so i know quite a bit about hondas.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

no he said it was a jap spec dc5, it was ordered from japan. I'd say i beat him by 3.5 cars, it seemed like he let off at 180 but i'm not sure. It could of had a bad tune i dunno it was only in there for a week. He was shocked, i don't have much done but i told him it was stock as i usually do. We agreed to meet up again after he gets some more hours on the engine and a better tune, its a small town so its not hard to find him.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well im not gonna be an *** and call BS or anything but good kill man!!! get vids next time!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:27 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by bongva
true... olders hondas that are k-swapped are pretty quick!

but he said DC5, and DC5 is the k-series motor, thats y i was questioning him.
I use to own a k-swapped honda before i bought my camaro, so i know quite a bit about hondas.
Yeah, I had a brain fart ... I had a DC2 GS-R a few years ago.

Edit: Hold on a sec... OP, is the current "RSX" that we have here in the states still called the Integra in Canada, like it is in Europe/Asia?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:42 AM
TECH Resident

I will get vids next time but it might be a different race, i'll be on 100 shot and he said he was doing something else along with a better tune, guy was french so its hard to understand sometimes.
I don't get why its so hard to understand arn't they just 220 hp stock.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:42 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I had a brain fart ... I had a DC2 GS-R a few years ago.

Edit: Hold on a sec... OP, is the current "RSX" that we have here in the states still called the Integra in Canada, like it is in Europe/Asia?
i think it was a 95 and no the RSX is called the RSX up here too.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by StealthV8
I will get vids next time but it might be a different race, i'll be on 100 shot and he said he was doing something else along with a better tune, guy was french so its hard to understand sometimes.
Yeah, but even the regular K20a2/Z-equipped RSXs are capable of 100mph+ trapspeeds and mid-high 13s ets with just a CAI and a Hondata tune. I would definitely think with aftermarket cams, full bolt-ons, and aggressive race gas tune it would put up more of a fight in the ~200lb less Integra body. But like I said, stuff happens on the street. Do you happen to know what transmission he is using?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, but even the regular K20a2/Z-equipped RSXs are capable of 100mph+ trapspeeds and mid-high 13s ets with just a CAI and a Hondata tune. I would definitely think with aftermarket cams, full bolt-ons, and aggressive race gas tune it would put up more of a fight in the ~200lb less Integra body. But like I said, stuff happens on the street. Do you happen to know what transmission he is using?

wow a v8 guy who knows stuff about hondas! +1 for you man! i guess we were in the same boat at one time
Old 10-14-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StealthV8
because k20 swapped cars are very quick! even if they are just 2xxwhp
Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bongva
wow a v8 guy who knows stuff about hondas! +1 for you man! i guess we were in the same boat at one time
too...much...honda..in this thread
Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Old 10-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Teching In

nice race... what are the mods/setup on your car if you don't mind me asking??
Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honda engine swaps are way overrated. Every riceboy thinks its soooo easy to just throw a B-series or K-series in a hatch or coupe and run great times. Sorry, that couldn't be more wrong.

First off, Hondas aren't meant to go fast. So everything about the car is counter-productive to actually getting the car off the line and going fast. That includes the engine as well, which is so gutless that without a perfect launch, you are going nowhere fast. You can't just ease off the clutch at 2 or 3K and expect the car to grip and take off, its either going to bog down and stall, or spin tires, hook up, and then bog and slowly pull until it gets up around 6,000RPM. So either way its a joke. And there's no way you're getting a great launch without a proper suspension setup, limited slip diff, staged axles, and grag radials. And then after all that, the shitty Honda trans usually blows up anyway, so you're back to square one.

All the B-series swapped Civics I've seen have run mid to high 15's on a good day, once in a while you'll see a 14.7-14.9. K-series swaps tend to run mid 14's, that lack of torque really hurts when you're trying to get the car off the line.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Honda engine swaps are way overrated. Every riceboy thinks its soooo easy to just throw a B-series or K-series in a hatch or coupe and run great times. Sorry, that couldn't be more wrong.

First off, Hondas aren't meant to go fast. So everything about the car is counter-productive to actually getting the car off the line and going fast. That includes the engine as well, which is so gutless that without a perfect launch, you are going nowhere fast. You can't just ease off the clutch at 2 or 3K and expect the car to grip and take off, its either going to bog down and stall, or spin tires, hook up, and then bog and slowly pull until it gets up around 6,000RPM. So either way its a joke. And there's no way you're getting a great launch without a proper suspension setup, limited slip diff, staged axles, and grag radials. And then after all that, the shitty Honda trans usually blows up anyway, so you're back to square one.

All the B-series swapped Civics I've seen have run mid to high 15's on a good day, once in a while you'll see a 14.7-14.9. K-series swaps tend to run mid 14's, that lack of torque really hurts when you're trying to get the car off the line.
As soon as I saw that you were the last poster, I knew I'd be in for another retarded post. And of course you didn't disappoint. If you're seeing people with VTEC B18 swapped Civics running anywhere in the 15s, then people around you can't drive. My stock 152k mile '94 Integra GS-R cracked off a 14.97 @ 93.82mph, and had a best trapspeed of 93.98mph. Put that engine in a lighter car (with the right transmission), and low 14s with bolt-ons is expected. And the K-series is WAY more potent. And I've never known Honda manual transmissions to be weak at all. The late 90s/early 00s V6 automatics had their problems, but the manuals were fairly bulletproof. We get it that you don't like them, but don't go spewing random garbage.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chavez885
too...much...honda..in this thread
I agree, not to mention every F'ing time I went to the track there would be PLENTY of them with tons of crap done to them running mid 14's and blowing up all the friggin time, i get angry just thinking about those sh*t boxes.. Sorry I know I know there are plenty of nice Honda's... Nice to you maybe, to me...

As for the GP GXP... Rock on bro, God Bless youfighting the good fight with the wrong drive wheels, I for one threw in the towel with mine after 6 months (13.6 @ 102 stock, though)
Old 10-15-2008, 02:38 AM
TECH Resident

I've got some stuff done, don't want to give away much. Better front tires, spring blocks in the rear springs, bolt ons and some other little things. I can usually run with mid 13 second cars, i've beatn some people that said that ran a low 13 but i don' t know.
How can i tell the difference if i get him to pop the hood? I want to make sure hes not bullshiting me, hes also french and things get mixed up because of the translation.
He spun really bad on launch so i may have won right there. We were playing before the real race and i pulled after 100 mph hard everytime. I also have to say i can launch this car pretty good, i havn't had a fwd launch with me yet.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Wesman...you wouldn't happen to have a srt 4 would you?

Moving on to the honda debate...they can be fast, they can be nice, but it is all preference. I personally want a eg hatch with a low boosted d motor for a DD. Fast enough to take down a 96-98 Mustang, and could probably hang with a new edge, and out of boost would still get good gas milage.