LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Missing oil gallery ball, (or plug)? Pressure tested without ball. Results inside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Missing oil gallery ball, (or plug)? Pressure tested without ball. Results inside.

Just a few days ago I had assembled the bottom end of a motor and sealed up the oil pan and went to turn the oil pump with a heavy duty 2500rpm drill to check for pressure and oil up the pushrods. Then realized that I did not put in the oil gallery plug to divide the oil filter in/out. (this goes just under the rear main cap). My mistake and it cost quite a bit of time. But I had the whole day to experiment so I left the gallery plug out and tested oil pressure with the drill and the M99HVS oil pump made 65 psig at 2500rpm.

Then a few hours later after installing the gallery plug, that same M99HVS oil pump made 60 psig. That confirms my hunch that no ball/plug in the block means that the oil filter is bypassed and therefor higher oil pressure. The gauge tap is after the oil filter so if the filter is in the circuit then there will be some pressure drop as shown and in this case I had 5 psig

Karl Ellwein

Last edited by Karl Ellwein; 10-14-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: fix spelling, (gauge and divide)
Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading that on your site a couple days ago. I always check out all the builds you post up. Good info.

Quick Reply: Missing oil gallery ball, (or plug)? Pressure tested without ball. Results inside.