Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bump Stops and Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bump Stops and Spacers

I have a 1995 TA that has 18" rims on it now and noticed my Bump stop (rubber) was gone on both sides due to being old and brittle and has fell off. Do I need these (see Pics) from Hawks? I plan to lower the car this winter with Strano springs but wasn't sure if I need these? They mention with 17" rims to use the spacers as well (See pic) but I have 18" rims. Thanks

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...ebumpstop.aspx
Old 10-14-2008, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You need the bumpstops, and the GM ones are frankly the best to use. But you do not need the spacers and frankly I take them off the cars that have them.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Sam, It threw me off when they started talking about 17" but I have 18" so I wasn't sure what to get. So I do need the stock bump stops then and I plan to order your Springs in a couple of weeks so I'll need them even more after I lower my car. I'll order some today. Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was under my car a few days ago, and noticed that old age had taken its toll on my rear bumpstops. I looked at a number of the GM parts suppliers, and their prices started at around $25 each, and rose from there.

I looked at the Energy Suspension catalog, and a Jeep part seemed to have the correct bolt hole spacing, and was about the right height (1 7/8" tall). I ordered them Sunday night, at $24 for the pair, and they arrived late this afternoon. I'll be trying them for size tomorrow...
Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced mine a while back with the GM ones, work fine and I have lowered mine, but with 17's
Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I was under my car a few days ago, and noticed that old age had taken its toll on my rear bumpstops. I looked at a number of the GM parts suppliers, and their prices started at around $25 each, and rose from there.

I looked at the Energy Suspension catalog, and a Jeep part seemed to have the correct bolt hole spacing, and was about the right height (1 7/8" tall). I ordered them Sunday night, at $24 for the pair, and they arrived late this afternoon. I'll be trying them for size tomorrow...
Would love to hear back from you about how they look and fit? Any pics? Let me know sounds like a good deal before I order mine.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I carry Energy Suspension parts.... That said, why reinvent the wheel? The GM stops work extremely well and are proven. And in this case are cheaper too. I beg you to use some sense here.

Again I could sell you the ES ones, and the way the economy is any sale is a good sale these days. But I'd rather not use an unknown that costs more than a known good part that costs less. It's just silly.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are they on your site? What's the part number? I need two GM bump stops.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They are not. I don't sell GM parts. Get them from Hawk's or a dealer. My point what I'd rather see you on them, even if I can't sell them to you, than the ES ones. That's all.

I can't carry every part, hell a lot of what I can sell isn't on the website (not possible to get it all up there) so I appreciate you asking.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I carry Energy Suspension parts.... That said, why reinvent the wheel? The GM stops work extremely well and are proven. And in this case are cheaper too. I beg you to use some sense here.

Again I could sell you the ES ones, and the way the economy is any sale is a good sale these days. But I'd rather not use an unknown that costs more than a known good part that costs less. It's just silly.

Sam, I'm not looking to start a fight, but $25 per pair, is NOT the same cost as $25 each.....
Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
Would love to hear back from you about how they look and fit? Any pics? Let me know sounds like a good deal before I order mine.

I put them on this afternoon. They weren't exactly a true "bolt-on", as the frame has a "tab" or "lip" along side the bumpstops, I assume to help keep them in place during the car's assembly. The ES part needed to be "clearanced" to fit around this "tab".

The good news is that it didn't take a lot of work to make this modification. The down side, potentially, is that ES pours their polyurethane material around the metal straps, encapsulating them in the material. My "mod" may somewhat weaken that bond, as I also had to trim a little of the polyurethane. Time will tell.

The other side of the coin would be to modify the tabs on the car instead, but I chose not to...
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have any pics of them?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
Have any pics of them?

Unfortunately, I don't own a digital camers, so it isn't easy to get a picture on to a site.

(I worked for Kodak, the film company, for 33 years. Traditions die hard)
Old 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with the stock GM triangular bumpstops. They are progressive and provide a bit of cushion before going into full suspension travel which leads to better high performance control, less snappy-ness (is that a word?), and better ride comfort as well. BAM! Win win situation. I found a place that had them for about 20 a piece.

Energy suspension I've been losing faith in. I've have fitment issues with the 21 mm swaybar d-bushings. Heard they have fitment issues with the poly trans mounts with torque arms. Now they require modification to bolt onto the fbody? I'm thinking of passing on ES in the future.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was going to say aren't the stock GM bumpstops made of hardish rubber where as the energy ones are poly? That seems rather foolish to install something that isn't going to give at all if it does indeed bottom out at some point.