Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me into or out of this (has anyone done it yet?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Talk me into or out of this (has anyone done it yet?)

I just happen to have a 99 Porsche 911 (996) that just doesn't do it for me and I am getting the itch to do a turbo LS motor in it. Is anyone aware of any that have been done already? I have seen earlier LSx 911's, but have not found a 996 yet. If there are any currently built- anybody have pics? I'm curious how much room is left for accessories and such after such a swap. Where is a good source for transmission adapter plates?

This is all up in the air right now, but I have the itch to build something and this is just sitting in my garage taunting me...
Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

I think it would be a great project. I figure you'll spend mucho $$$ but in the end will be an awsome car.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Launching!

i havent see them with an ls motor but it would be a cool car to have. good luck
Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jerrad
I think it would be a great project. I figure you'll spend mucho $$$ but in the end will be an awsome car.
I'm hoping to not spend "mucho $$$" lol, but i know how these things go... I'm hoping that once I get the stock motor sold, it will fund a big chunk of the parts required. We'll see. It is just a thought right now. Weighing my options. Thanks!
Joe
Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of power does that thing have stock? I'd say hitting it with a turbo (or bigger turbo) would wake it up or maybe hit it with some spray? Why not sell the whole car and fund an entire build from the groud up...Factory Five GTM???
Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
I'm hoping to not spend "mucho $$$" lol, but i know how these things go... I'm hoping that once I get the stock motor sold, it will fund a big chunk of the parts required. We'll see. It is just a thought right now. Weighing my options. Thanks!
Joe
Done any wrenching, welding, and fabrication before? If not, sell the P car and get a vette. You could probably build a turbo C5 for the price you sold your 996 for.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss454327
What kind of power does that thing have stock? I'd say hitting it with a turbo (or bigger turbo) would wake it up or maybe hit it with some spray? Why not sell the whole car and fund an entire build from the groud up...Factory Five GTM???
I believe the stock power is right around 300. I thought about turbo or spray on the stock 3.4, but heard it is a bit frail and it is pricey to repair if I nuke it- I'd rather sell the motor while it is still good and put the money towards an LS swap.

The GTM is another consideration that even the wife likes, but $$$$ is a bit too tight for that right now.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by themachasy
Done any wrenching, welding, and fabrication before? If not, sell the P car and get a vette. You could probably build a turbo C5 for the price you sold your 996 for.
More than I care to or even can remember lol.. Engine builds- too many, custom turbo setups- a handful or so, back halving cars in the garage- yup, body and paint- done plenty of that too .

I sold my APS TT GTO early this year to buy a Vette- so I have one of them already- an 05. I planned on doing something with that when I bought it, but am actually enjoying it as-is and don't really want to mess with it. Besides, it would be "just another modded vette" if I did. Still an option though. Probably be a heads/cam/stroker/spray setup if I do.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the stock power is right around 300. I thought about turbo or spray on the stock 3.4, but heard it is a bit frail and it is pricey to repair if I nuke it- I'd rather sell the motor while it is still good and put the money towards an LS swap.

The GTM is another consideration that even the wife likes, but $$$$ is a bit too tight for that right now.

That's why I said "Sell the Porche outright" I bet it would completely fund a GTM.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's why I said "Sell the Porche outright" I bet it would completely fund a GTM.
Not when I still owe money on the Porsche .
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tough choice there...surely you don't owe more than it's worth? For me personally I could never justify something like a Porche. I'm into drag racing so I could buy or build something that would blow it off the track for a fraction of the cost.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tough choice there...surely you don't owe more than it's worth? For me personally I could never justify something like a Porche. I'm into drag racing so I could buy or build something that would blow it off the track for a fraction of the cost.
No, I'm good on that, thankfully.

I agree, I could build a "drag car" that would blow it off the strip for a fraction of the price as well- but I am not much of a drag guy . I prefer a car to be fast in day to day driving. My GTO was 795/806 to the wheels and useless in the standing 1/4 (11.0@137), but violent on the highway, which is where I drove it most. I'd rather a car pull from 90-180 like a freight train than handle like Jello and top out in the 120's .
Old 10-15-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn. Not getting much love. Guess everyone has you pegged as just another Porsche guy.

There was a thread in this section a little while ago about LS swap into a 944. Had a link to a site that specialized in V8 Porsche swaps. Would be the first place to start looking.

There was a second about transaxles. Had a link to adapter plates for Porsche transaxles. Don't know if it covered yours.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

The watercooled cars are a different beast. The amount of computer nightmares you'd go through to keep anything like oem gauges and other things like that would be hell. Id say do bolt ons and call it a day. If you still owe on the car its NOT the time to hack it up.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I read into the Porsche swap site a while back from the other thread and I loved it. Seems like they have the kits pretty well worked out. I say go for it....its a neat idea, potential for great performance, and the best part is that it's different.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Damn. Not getting much love. Guess everyone has you pegged as just another Porsche guy.
Screw 'em then- I have owned and built more F-bodies than most of them have seen . Besides, "just another Porsche guy" would cringe at the thought of an LS motor in a 911!

Originally Posted by themachasy
The watercooled cars are a different beast. The amount of computer nightmares you'd go through to keep anything like oem gauges and other things like that would be hell. Id say do bolt ons and call it a day. If you still owe on the car its NOT the time to hack it up.
I was concerned about that as well and wanted to look at a diagram to see where all the gauges got their signals from. I was hoping I could make it work. Worst case, I would make a custom dash- but I would rather not. Have you priced Porsche "bolt ons"? Far from worth it for the minimal gains you get out of them. Being the type I am, I would much rather stuff a turbo LS motor in it and do all the fab work myself than overpay for minimal performance.

As for owing on it, I'm not worried about that, the payments aren't a struggle or anything like that.

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
I read into the Porsche swap site a while back from the other thread and I loved it. Seems like they have the kits pretty well worked out. I say go for it....its a neat idea, potential for great performance, and the best part is that it's different.
I'll have to google some more. So far, I have not found anything related to 996's, only the earlier air-cooled cars. The wife actually wants me to do a 4G63 in it, but that won't be enough for my needs .
Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Screw 'em then- I have owned and built more F-bodies than most of them have seen . Besides, "just another Porsche guy" would cringe at the thought of an LS motor in a 911!
Sort of the point I was making

Here is the swap site

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/#

And the current links I was talking about.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/399599-what-transaxles-will-bolt-up-ls1.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=944
Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Pop N Wood gave you the Renegade Hybrid site that I was going to recommend. They're about ten miles away so if there's anything I can do to help.....

Your idea of a blown LSx might not be necessary. The LS6 I'm putting into my '87 560SEC Mercedes has a cam and a little work on the valve train and dyno'd 410 RWHP (about 480 at the crank) when it was still in my buddy's RX7. That should be sufficient to wake up a 911!!

Mike
Las Vegas
Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mramay
Pop N Wood gave you the Renegade Hybrid site that I was going to recommend. They're about ten miles away so if there's anything I can do to help.....

Your idea of a blown LSx might not be necessary. The LS6 I'm putting into my '87 560SEC Mercedes has a cam and a little work on the valve train and dyno'd 410 RWHP (about 480 at the crank) when it was still in my buddy's RX7. That should be sufficient to wake up a 911!!

Mike
Las Vegas
Man, i wanted to do this swap... please get pics I'd love to see it!!!

/thread hijack
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the idea. I believe there are already adapters to get you mated to the transmission, beyond that it's just mounts, electronics and exhaust. Getting the factory electronics interfaced might be tough though.

Jump in and get started.

Quick Reply: Talk me into or out of this (has anyone done it yet?)