Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ACDelco Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ACDelco Drilled and Slotted Rotors

does anyone have them. i can get a pretty good deal on them and i was wondering how they were?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason to go with drilled or slotted rotors is either to save weight for drag race or autocross, or for the bling factor on the street. Keep in mind that holes and slots are big stress risers on a part which is heavily stressed.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know i just bought some new rims and i need new rotors anyway so i might as well upgrade.
my dad has them on his silverado but thats different than a car soi was seeing how they were on a car
Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

you're going to have to replace your rotors really fast if you go with drilled. drilled rotors crack under hard braking and can actually crack all the way through the rotor (from front/back), not just little stress cracks. your better off with just normal blanks (brembo) or gas slotted (ATEs are looking good, check them out at Strano Parts), but def stay away from drilled
Old 10-15-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

slotted/drilled aren't necessarily bad...yes there is a chance they can crack, but really only if you use them hard alot or track days etc. I talked with the guys at WS6Store and 2 different guys have had them for over 3 years with no problems.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Sure you see people who have had a COUPLE cracked holes in rotors. But look at Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Most of them have slotted/drilled. Hmm, they must be there for a reason. As long as its a QUALITY rotor, you're ok, just don't go cheap.

People see one review of cracked holes on a cheap rotor and think all drilled rotors are ****. I personally will be going to some slotted rotors, I just don't think drilled looks that good or is worth it at all. Slotted rotors is enough to relieve some gas pressure between the pad and disc without sacrificing much surface area or having to drill through the entire rotor.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

I went with Baer cross drilled and slotted because of the 3 year warranty against cracking and wrapping.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=HoLLo;10296966]Sure you see people who have had a COUPLE cracked holes in rotors. But look at Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Most of them have slotted/drilled. Hmm, they must be there for a reason. As long as its a QUALITY rotor, you're ok, just don't go cheap.QUOTE]

your missing the point the rotors are cast that way on those cars so there is less stress and they are also vein directional for cooling.

the rotors for the fbody have non directional vein and are cut which is the stress riser.

so dont compair apples to oranges
Old 10-15-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

They can crack under normal daily driving too. Just keep your eye on them as time goes by.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wifes car has Delco D/S rotors with 60,000 miles on them and NO CRACKS (they were put on by the Pontiac place at 72,000 miles and the car has 129,000 on it now.) I did have to have them turned when I put new pads on it last month because they were slightly wharped...but mild turning took that out. They are as "good" as the factory rotors (better IMO) and look a lot better.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've used them before, and they weren't worth the money spent.

As a note, even the OE Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, develop cracks as well. I've witnessed more than I care to admit. Many times, the "rotor face patterns" save negligible weight and yield higher rotor temps than than "blank faced" rotors of similar material and dimensions under similar performance conditions.

Want improved braking? Look mostly at an upgraded pad. Look to a good blank rotor for longevity and consistency. Most of all make sure your brake system is in good condition.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
slotted/drilled aren't necessarily bad...yes there is a chance they can crack, but really only if you use them hard alot or track days etc. I talked with the guys at WS6Store and 2 different guys have had them for over 3 years with no problems.
as Foxxtron noted, i know a few people with various types of cars that all do different types of driving (normal daily stuff to canyons and auto-x) and all who i know have cracked theres, including myself (track use only for my application, the others were street driven)

i just dont see spending the extra dime on something that can turn out to cost more in the short run, if you wanna upgrade looks do the vette brake conversion with a larger diameter rotor (i think you can do that now)
Old 10-16-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

they are not necessarily more expensive.....I have less than $300 tied up in mine. I bought them from WS6store and even with the slotted/drilled/zinc plated with HPS pads, they were less than most blank rotors. if they crack, screw it, I'll throw them away and try something else.

Quick Reply: ACDelco Drilled and Slotted Rotors