Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake wiring

I posted this in the electronic section, but I think it is best suited to be here. I'm having a weird issue with my Driver side brake light. I have done a search and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'll try to describe what is going on the best I can.

-During the day if I press the brakes, the driver side dim filament lights up while the passenger side bright fillament lights up.

-If the headlights are on, the dim filament on both lights illuminate (parking lights) until I hit the brake. Once I press the brake, the passenger side bright filament illuminates like it should while both the drivers side filaments go out. There is no light coming from the drivers side with the headlights on and the brake pedal pushed in.

-I tried switching the bulbs and it does the same thing. One thing I did notice was when I pulled the passenger side bulb out, the driver side quit warking altogether whether the headlights were on or not. No brake light, no parking light. Nothing.

Does anyone know where to start looking to find the issue. I originally thought a switch or something, but it threw me off when nothing worked on the driver side when I pull the bulb on the passenger side.

I have tried new bulbs, I've looked at all the wiring going across the rear and they all appear to be fine. I checked the ground back there and it is tight. I even loosened it and retightened the nut just to make sure. All of the other rear lights seem to be working normally. Turn signals work. Hazards work.

If it matters, this is on a '97 Camaro which has the amber turn signals.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this all stock? or have you changed tail lights and/or tail light harness between LT1 & LS1 tail lights (I forget if GM switched the taillights in 97 or 98)
Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is all stock. They changed to the amber turn signals in '97 so that is what I have.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might help:

Attached Thumbnails Brake wiring-taillights.jpg