LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

should i update my opti?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i update my opti?

i have a 94 trans am with the lt1. im in need for a new opti and i read somewhere that they changed at some point and became vented or nonvented or whatever not really shure witch one from what year i should get. ether way im pumped since i started working as a tech at a dealer about a month ago and i get a mean discount. my parts guy sed its about 260 for my stock one and he sed list was about 500. so if anyone wants to help me with my options i would apreatiate it.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a non vented opti. If it's not broke don't replace it. They only time I would rec changing it out is if you are doing a cam swap since you would already be in there with it off or if it's on it's way out.

Last edited by Elliott's94Z; 10-16-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont change it unless it breaks or the car drives like total **** and you have already replaced everything but the opti.

If your doing a cam or waterpump maybe. And only because your going to be right there anyways.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The MSD cap and rotor kit converts the "unvented" setup to vented. Would probably do that before changing everything.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The MSD cap and rotor kit converts the "unvented" setup to vented. Would probably do that before changing everything.
Yup, also another way to go. This is exactly what I did.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only reason i would even change is to go to the vented opti, but if everything is working good then dont mess with it until something starts to mess up....get the most life out of that opti that you can..its not really a performance mod so its not going to gain you hp or tq or anything
Old 10-17-2008, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on your car?

I would have to disagree with the guys that said if it ain't broke don't fix it. The cap and rotor are tune up items and if you have a considerable amount of miles on it I would get a MSD cap and rotor.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you don't have to don't. If you're going to go as far as to do a MSD cap and rotor, you still have to take the dang thing out. Spend the extra money, get a Billet MSD opti put it in and don't look bad. It's really not as hard as everyone says. I did mine in a matter of 3 hours in my garage, and that was with drinkin/chillin with the homies BSin...
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fergymoto
How many miles are on your car?

I would have to disagree with the guys that said if it ain't broke don't fix it. The cap and rotor are tune up items and if you have a considerable amount of miles on it I would get a MSD cap and rotor.
Ok so being that mine is in good working order I should still replace??? The only time I would change it out is if you are already tearing into the car or it's on it's way out...like I said before in my first post.

Last edited by Elliott's94Z; 10-17-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petechapter50
i have a 94 trans am with the lt1. im in need for a new opti and i read somewhere that they changed at some point and became vented or nonvented or whatever not really shure witch one from what year i should get. ether way im pumped since i started working as a tech at a dealer about a month ago and i get a mean discount. my parts guy sed its about 260 for my stock one and he sed list was about 500. so if anyone wants to help me with my options i would apreatiate it.
check with your parts guy again, tell him to verify. i believe its only the BASE for 260.00. through GM you have to purchase the cap/rotor seperate and i think you will be shocked to hear that price
Old 10-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys

well to clear it up a bit it is broke. doesent start. no spark and theres power to the coil so i figure opti or cap and rotor. my car has 90,000 miles so i figure why not do the hole thing. its bound to go and while im there and im doing a cam swap intake port and headers and doing the water pump. the hole front end is off anyways so i figure i mine as well go through it.

and i was wondering witch year did they change from vented to non? i thought it was 95. i was kinda suprised when my parts guy sed it was cheaper for a 95 opti than a 94. someone also told me the 95's had a bigger timing chain and cover. he sed that on all his lt1's he put the bigger timing chain and vented opti. im not really shure what i want to do with this so any help is sooo apreateated
Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by petechapter50
thanks guys

well to clear it up a bit it is broke. doesent start. no spark and theres power to the coil so i figure opti or cap and rotor. my car has 90,000 miles so i figure why not do the hole thing. its bound to go and while im there and im doing a cam swap intake port and headers and doing the water pump. the hole front end is off anyways so i figure i mine as well go through it.

and i was wondering witch year did they change from vented to non? i thought it was 95. i was kinda suprised when my parts guy sed it was cheaper for a 95 opti than a 94. someone also told me the 95's had a bigger timing chain and cover. he sed that on all his lt1's he put the bigger timing chain and vented opti. im not really shure what i want to do with this so any help is sooo apreateated
haha yeah well in that case it is prolly your opti so change that thing out!! let us know what happens when you change it out too
Old 10-18-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

and yeah the vented is in 95+ and it is cheaper!

Quick Reply: should i update my opti?