Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on stock rockers that lost bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on stock rockers that lost bearings

While changing the oil on my 98 LS1 w/57k I found small needle bearings stuck to the magnet (about six). The engine still runs and sounds the same, so no major damage yet. I have a few questions.

1) I plan to reinstall new rockers on both heads now. What damage could those loose bearings have done to the LS1? I’m hoping after a few oil changes and newly installed rockers the engine will be safe and sound. After all, the needle bearings on the drain plug looked in new condition and un-smashed. Has anyone experienced this and still has a nice running LS1?

2) Why install new GM rockers – they suck! So, I’m going for an aftermarket set and not really looking for performance gains. Considering the Yella Terra’s or Street Terra’s. I’ll consider others too if they’re quality and priced right. Any recommendations.

Basically I need to order parts on-line (any ideas?) ASAP and get my car running again and hoping the engine hasn’t been damaged.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Advise on stock rockers that lost bearings

i'd put in a replacement stock unit, they are pretty good really. i've not heard of anybody having damage from the needle bearings, nor have I heard of anyone having more than one fail.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Well, because I found bearings in my oil from the stock rockers they can’t be trusted. Would hate to replace the failed rocker(s) and have the same problems in another 5k w/the old ones. I’ll only feel good if the whole damn set of rockers are replaced.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Any other recomendations for replacment rockers that doesn't cost more than $500.00? Good on-line stores to purchase them?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Launching!

I have a complete set of stock rockers, rails and pushrods if you want them for $80 + shipping. They have 5000 miles on them.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Teching In

I have a complete set of stock rockers, rails and pushrods if you want them for $80 + shipping. They have 5000 miles on them.
Thanks for the offer. I popped off the left valve cover first and found the bad rocker. A near by dealer has one rocker for $24 and I’ll have my car running again today. I’d rather replace all w/aftermarket rockers so I can trust the motor. Time and money is making that hard at this point. Hopefully the other will remain strong!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

...a common problem with these motors ...almost as common as a dead oil pump or piston slap caused by defective rings/pistons...

...GM motors are plauged by poor design and a lack of quality control - but they are still fun; right??