LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

$342 to get FLUIDS changed?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry $342 to get FLUIDS changed?!?!?!

No matter who you are, you most likely know more about these cars than I do...so please contribute some answers and dont just leave me hanging. Thanks! I am a car noob. I am on my second car (a totally stock 94 trans am M6 with 90,000 miles in very good condition(or was)) and the biggest thing I have ever done to a car is change a tire...Yes, it is sad, but do me a favor and make fun of me behind my back and not on this thread

I went to the place my mom gets her oil changed at for her Honda CR-V, it is one of those real quick drive in and sit in a lobby for 15 min and you are out of there, but apparently you really pay for convenience. I lost one of my jobs a while ago and could not pay insurance on the trans am...the car was not driven for quite some time and now when ever I drive it the check engine light comes on(so i stopped driving it). It also makes squeaky noises when i turn the car(forgive my lack of car knowledge). I bought the car from a dealer not too long ago and was going to get all fluids changed so when the guy at my moms place told me it was going to be like $342...I was shocked. I have to save money for college and can not and will not pay that.

Here is what I am thinking. is it that hard to change all fluids(i want to change everything so know what has and hasnt been done)? I have a mechanically inclined friend who could help me...1.How much would it cost me to buy all the fluids myself(I want the good stuff)? 2.What exactly does all fluids mean(oil, rearend, tranny, coolant...what else??? 3. Anything else I should change or check? 4. WHat fluids are best for the $$$(best oil, best tranny fluid etc? I have heard great things about ROYAL PURPLE, but I am not sure if that is the best gig for a high mileage engine, even though I wouldnt mind the few HP!! I just ordered a GMMG exhaust today and will also be getting LPP LT headers and ORY and a CAI if that makes any difference since my car wont be stock any longer. As always thanks guys.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

What kinda fluid is that luquid gold?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
What kinda fluid is that luquid gold?
no way I am going for it...Unless it adds 20 to the wheels and they give me a free sticker...and dare I say a hat
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

COME ON guys...21 + views and only 1 response...think back to when you were noobs and needed help
Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To be honest if you are paying some one else to do it that is not a bad price for a drive train service.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Check out this website it is very informational on all three fluids in the drivetrain. http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/lubeoil.htm

I used Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5w-30 oil (5 quarts) $30, Mobile 1 Oil Filter $12, Moble 1 ATF trans fluid (4 quarts) $34, and Royal Purple 75w-90 differential fluid (2 quarts) $38. It costs about $114 with tax if you want to do all three fluid changes with a friend. You will spend at least 5 hours if you have not done these changes before.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a full tranny flush and coolant flush require a special machine to flush the fluid completly out, rear end fluid can be a pain in the *** to put in, take forever... thats why they cost so much...
Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well if you ever wanna come to indiana ill do it for $300!!

i guess you need to do it yourself, you will take a lot more pride in your car and yourself if you do it, and you might learn something, and you will for sure save a lot of money!!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Teching In

I hate to say it but I call rape. I just did my trans, oil, and diff for $65 for "the good stuff" lmao liquid gold. Really do it yourself or find someone thats into f-bodies in your area. Hell a 12 pack and 20 bucks would do most people
Old 10-17-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok for one dont use 5w in your car!! dumb!! have someone do it for you!! you would be better off! where are you from?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a mechanically inclined friend who could help me...
If your buddy has done a few things around cars, he will help you. After doing this you will knock yourself out when you see how easy it is to change your oil. My advise is to go with Mobil 1 and KN oil filter.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Start with the small stuff yourself......... Motor oil is easy. Jack up the front of your car, take out the oil drain plug and let the oil drain into a container, replace filter, and refill with oil.

Coolant in the radiator is SUPER easy, just put your car on a decline and raise it about 4 inches, Uncap the radiator then simply twist the nozzle on the bottom of the radiator and let the coolant drip into an old milk jug.......

If you just want a little fresh fluid in your transmission you may also purchase a MITYVAC. You basically inster a long clear tube in the Transmission Dip stick tube............. suck out 6-7 quarts........ and replace 6-7 quarts. Now , u will not be able to suck out much more than that (usually takes closer to 10 quarts). This also does not help you if you wanted to change out the transmission fluid filter.

All these three things can be taken care of within a matter of 1.5 hours or so.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jarretthise
ok for one dont use 5w in your car!! dumb!! have someone do it for you!! you would be better off! where are you from?
Why do you keep saying this? You are completely wrong.

Did you ask exactly what fluids he was going to do? If you just said "all" he may be thinking things like power steering and brakes in addition to the commonly thought of coolant, oil, tranny and rearend. To do all that is a lot of work. It is work that can be done in the driveway at home but is time consuming and at a shop time costs a lot of money.

You have an M6 so the poster who said you need a machine is wrong, it s a simple drain plug, though filling it is a little hassle. Last I did one we actually removed the shifter and poured in through there just using the side hole to check level.

Honestly this is a big first project, I would encourage you to find someone knowledgable locally and see if they will give you a hand for $50 or something.

The squeeking while turning, can you feel it in the steering wheel?? If so I would suspect it is the belt. If not I would again find someone experianced who can help and have them help you change wheel bearings on the frontend. When I was young and inexperianced I ignored a turning squeek from the frontend and welded a wheelbearing to the spindle by driving it till the wheel litterally kicked out and was not vertical anymore, the brkes were all that were holding it close to straight.

Do not get carried away with fancy fluids either.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That price sounds reasonable.

You have the cost of meterials, and disposal.

The LABOR!! which can be anywhere bettween 70-100$ per hour.

The Service writer is trying to make money and honda/acura dealerships make most of their $$$ that way. Their cars dont break like a Ford/Chevy

You probably have 2-3 guys working on the car to get the job done that quickly. I would also have everything spelling out on the Work RO.

Like others said there are special machines used, because its quicker and more complete. Probably a BG machine.

I personally change all my fluids but sometimes it just pays to have someone else do it.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

PWNT

sorry had to...yea i'd definately try to do it yourself next time.

engine = Mobil 1, real synth with filter=$35
rearend = Mobil 1 with rear gasket = $25
trans = Amsoil = $40

so maybe $100 in all high dollar fluids...you got raped.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

These cars might be older but they are expensive as all hell to get repaired in a shop. Shops other than performance shops hate doing lt1/ls1 cars because the motor is so crammed in the engine bay. I think ur fluid change is pretty close to a the price it should be. When your ready for a tune up be ready to throw down anywhere from 500-750 bucks at a repair shop. So if you have a buddy or can find some guys on this site that are really good at workin on lt1 cars like i have found then have them help u throw em some cash and buy em beer lol. Its good to find guys on here in ur area and help eachother out. In the end it makes modding ur car and doing maintenance work ten times cheaper and easier.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I wouldnt change the tranny fluid....ever, personal opinion though.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
then dont ever complain when a transmission junks on ya it always amazes me the amount of people who make that comment. and as far as the price goes, that is about right paying to take it and get fluids changed. you look in comparison, gm charges about 28.00 a bottle for rear end dope (x2) dex-cool coolant is about 25.00 a jug, if you opt for mobil 1 i believe we charge 6.00 or so a quart. then you have to consider labor. **** adds up quick paying someone to do it.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman

LMFAO!!! Being in the transmission industry i can honestly say we LOVE people like you!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
LMFAO!!! Being in the transmission industry i can honestly say we LOVE people like you!
In all the rides Ive own ive never had a single problem with my transmissions....Ive followed this principle always.

Ive seen it again and again, changing fluids...BAM! bye bye tranny....

BTW, I just checked my tranny fluid and is pink and nice. Almost as if it was changed yesterday.

Last edited by chaman; 10-17-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: $342 to get FLUIDS changed?!?!?!