Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Light

I own a 98' z28 camaro. I was driving home from work when I realized my "Security" light was on. A solid light, not flashing. The car started fine. I'm curious if there is a reason this light is on. It shuts off with the ignition turned off, but remains on after the car is started and has been running. the car doesn't seem to run any different, but i haven't checked the alarm since its midnight.

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The security light in the instrument cluster is unrelated to the alarm system. It indicates a problem with the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) - the resistor chip in your ignition key. Use a pencil eraser and some rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts on your key. Also, spray some contact cleaner or TV tuner cleaner into the ignition cylinder (both are available from Radio Shack and most electronics stores).
Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

you could just have it programmed out...takes the "will it do this again" out of the equation
Old 10-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, the VATS can't be completely removed merely through programming the PCM and that won't get rid of the warning light anyway. There are two anti theft functions affected by the VATS - it disables the starter relay and it turns off the fuel pump relay. Turning off the fuel pump relay is done by a signal from the BCM to the PCM and the PCM can be programmed to ignore that signal. But disabling the starter relay is handled entirely by the BCM which is not programmable. The warning light is also controlled by the BCM so it can't be disabled through programming either.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

I'll give it a try asap. Thanks guys. And by alarm i meant anti-theft. I'm just a noob with a short vocabulary.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem, security light when the car is running, runs and drives fine. My keyless entry doesn't work either. I know the alarm works because I set it off unlocking the door with the key, but that is unrelated. What would be the first thing to replace? I tried cleaning the key and I even went through the BCM and re-soldered about 20 contacts that were cracked to hell.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

something else...weather for some reason likes to effect the VATS hardware. when it's close to freezing outside, my VATS light comes on also.