Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI X1 cam the best for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MTI X1 cam the best for a daily driver?

i have a 2000ss with whisper lid k&N and gmmg exhaust this car is going to be a daily driver and i live about 20 minutes from MTI and have heard many good things about the X1 cam i havent talked to anyone at MTI about this cam so before i go i want to pretty much know what im gonna get im pretty set on the X1 but want some info about drivability and how much will be affected by it, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: MTI X1 cam the best for a daily driver?

The X1 is a great cam..

Do you plan on running S2 heads with it? I ran MTI's heads with that cam and ran 11.6's all day long at the track with a 3700 raceweight.....
Old 09-14-2003, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

NO, im gonna leave the heads and just get the cam i dont have enough money the money for the cam is coming out of the job i used to have im only 16 but maybe in the future i might put some new heads
Old 09-14-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

It still should make good power by itself....it won't be a problem, I would get some MTI tuning done....
Old 09-14-2003, 12:38 AM
10 Second Club

alright thanks alot man how much horsepower are we talkin about since i have only air box, filter, exhaust and im about to get long tube with high flow cats and y-pipe will i be in the 350 or 360 range or lower
Old 09-14-2003, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

ORY will give you a minimum of 10 + with a cam.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

All depending on the tune, I would say 370-390, you a 6-speed or auto?
Old 09-14-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember, you'll need to fork out the extra dough for some good MTI dynotuning. Get them to tune the computer for you and this will be an AWESOME performer. The X1 is MTI's top performing cam for stock CI engines.

Personally, I wouldn't go with quite that big of a cam for my only car, honest to goodness, daily driver (if that's the case.) I'd go with the Stealth (for a super smooth sneaky idle and excellent drivability), the C1 (for longer valvespring life and a noticable idle), or the C2 (for a little extra performance and a slightly meaner idle than the C1.)

Old 09-14-2003, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you get headers and ORy you should be well in the 400whp range .. the cam makes power..thats why i chose it
Old 09-14-2003, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

wait ive got mixed posts, some people saying its excellent for daily driver some people no i will give up some power for daily driveability since i dont have too much extra money to be replacing valve springs and such and internal engine parts so for a daily driver and good reliability which is the best cam i have an a4
Old 09-14-2003, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Opinions vary on what is suitable for a daily driver and even WHAT IS a daily driver. Some people think a daily driver is something they can stand to drive around on the weekends. Some people think it's the kind of car that doesn't have any bad habits that you would like to drive as your only means of transportation. It's kinda like with TQ converters. Some people like a 2600 stall for daily driving while some people can even put up with a 4600 stall for daily driving. I fall in the middle. I like a 3500-3800.

Honestly, I'd go with the C1 based on what you've said. It'll make great power, drive great, and it'll be much easier on the valvesprings (and valvetrain in general) than the other MTI cams. I also might advise getting this cam with a 114 LSA (for even better drivability and a smoother idle) unless you just want a choppier idle. If that's the case, go with the 112.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

I might sound stupid asking this but what is a 114lsa and a 112 lsa and i want the car to sound like and old muscle car i want it to lobe at idle and sound good, thanks alot for the replys
Old 09-14-2003, 02:39 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might sound stupid asking this but what is a 114lsa and a 112 lsa and i want the car to sound like and old muscle car i want it to lobe at idle and sound good, thanks alot for the replys
if you want more lope the the 112lsa is your bet. LSA= lope seperation angle.

heres a quick overview about cams you can read up on

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 09-14-2003, 03:26 AM
TECH Resident

Unless you're gonna tune or get a good torque converter, I'd stay away from a 112 LSA personally. It'll only serve to **** you off, I'm sure. There are exceptions to everything, of course, but this seems the norm with A4 cars. MTI has plenty of other good cams to choose from besides the X1. That one has a little too much lift for my liking in a DD. FWIW, I run a C1 in a DD and love it. My car's an M6, though. Lope, power, and torque! It doesn't get any better than that!
Old 09-14-2003, 03:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you get headers and ORy you should be well in the 400whp range .. the cam makes power..thats why i chose it

your shootin a little high for those 2 add-ons

I have the x1 in a daily driver....and I was told by the dyno that my car is a strong one...a little better than the average...look at my #'s
Its pretty dam good....found out at the track that shifting at 5500 rpms works best with this cam on stock heads...with an asp underdrive pulley and an electric water pump I should see 400RWHP and then the ls6 intake should net me around 420RWHP...Stage 2 heads should get me into the 450-480RWHP range...its gona be a great car when I am thru...hell its already great...at Idle I'm making around 290RWTQ....A good dyno tune is the key to this cam...and Idle is a Bitch till you get tuned......
Old 09-14-2003, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

your shootin a little high for those 2 add-ons

I have the x1 in a daily driver....and I was told by the dyno that my car is a strong one...a little better than the average...look at my #'s
Its pretty dam good....found out at the track that shifting at 5500 rpms works best with this cam on stock heads...with an asp underdrive pulley and an electric water pump I should see 400RWHP and then the ls6 intake should net me around 420RWHP...Stage 2 heads should get me into the 450-480RWHP range...its gona be a great car when I am thru...hell its already great...at Idle I'm making around 290RWTQ....A good dyno tune is the key to this cam...and Idle is a Bitch till you get tuned......

i mean 400+ with all botlons, and tuning..

and if you get 480whp...your gonna set a record for ls1 by over 20whp..so...i dont think its me thats shooting high

ill let you know in 3 weeks when mine is in and tuned..through a moser 12 bolt with 4.11 gears
Old 09-14-2003, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

With all the right bolt-ons, over 400 RWHP shouldn't be so hard with an X1. With my parasitic A4 car, I made 359 RWHP with bolt-ons. An X1 would get me 400 RWHP I think. If it were an M6 it would be even easier. I could still add an electric waterpump too.

480? Now that would be tough.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

My X1 runs like a dream in my Daily...30miles 1 way...only time it hicups is when you crank the motor w/the AC on...turn ac off...let it find it's idle (W/in 5seconds) then turn AC on and it won't die. this is of course with Jayson doing the tuning and me fine tuning the TB hole. But Hell, i want to go G5X2 type cam SOON...the X1 is great and with heads I'm making over 420+ hp easily thru my A4 and 4000 stall.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

The only stupid question, is the one not asked. I think you will see the 114 lobe sep in A4's mostly, 'cause it will idle better w/o a high stall converter. The 112 lobe sep will produce a more erratic idle, which can cause problems with a low stall converter riding it.
Anyways, that's my understanding of it. In fact the tuner doing the H/C install on my Vette, flat refused to put in a 112 LS at all, even though he was risking loosing my business over it. He did manage to talk me into the 114 LS, even though I'm having him put in a Vig 3200 TC.
Not sure if he was applying overkill there or not, but I'm getting the Vette back in about a week or so, and I'll post the results when I get a chance! I'm expecting to hit 420RWHP, with my set up! The SS is next, but gonna have to do cam only with it, 'till I pay all this stuff off!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Opinions vary on what is suitable for a daily driver and even WHAT IS a daily driver. Some people think a daily driver is something they can stand to drive around on the weekends. Some people think it's the kind of car that doesn't have any bad habits that you would like to drive as your only means of transportation. It's kinda like with TQ converters. Some people like a 2600 stall for daily driving while some people can even put up with a 4600 stall for daily driving. I fall in the middle. I like a 3500-3800.

Honestly, I'd go with the C1 based on what you've said. It'll make great power, drive great, and it'll be much easier on the valvesprings (and valvetrain in general) than the other MTI cams. I also might advise getting this cam with a 114 LSA (for even better drivability and a smoother idle) unless you just want a choppier idle. If that's the case, go with the 112.
This is some good advice, listen to the Colonel . With stock heads you are only going to be giving up around 10 RWHP (up high in the RPM range) with the X1 over a milder cam like the B1, T1, C1 which is going to be a little easier on valvetrain and have a little better driving manners. The smaller cams will probably let you go untuned as well while the X1 will probably need some pretty good tuning. Even with good stage 2 heads in the future we are only talking a max of 20 RWHP difference in power between the X1 and a relatively smaller cam like the T1 (again all up top in the RPM range). Just some food for thought.

-Nick