Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

New v6 mustang an SS beater?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New v6 mustang an SS beater?

http://mustangs.about.com/od/modelye...boost-ford.htm

415hp from a direct injection turbocharged v6. The 415hp version of the engine has already hit showroom floors in Australia, in a number of different cars.

This is why I have reservations about buying a new camaro. With the technology accelerating so quickly, and a direct injection V8 just around the corner for corvette(+1 year and the camaro too), The curent car begins to look like a stopgap....

Maybe I'm just too attached to my money, but I'm holding out to see what comes next. Anybody else?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phoenix64

415hp from a direct injection turbocharged v6. The 415hp version of the engine has already hit showroom floors in Australia, in a number of different cars.

This is why I have reservations about buying a new camaro. With the technology accelerating so quickly, and a direct injection V8 just around the corner for corvette(+1 year and the camaro too), The curent car begins to look like a stopgap....

Maybe I'm just too attached to my money, but I'm holding out to see what comes next. Anybody else?
I'm holding out for more power for now. The weight is just so much that here at altitude it won't be that fast. That's why I put a turbo on my '02 SS.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The Camaro is already outdated....sad, but they (GM) took too long to release it. It is a stillborn.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ford has yet to confirm that motor going into the mustang.

You can read on Ford forums even they doubt I't will be in the mustang anytime soon....its a new motor and expensive to much for a "base" mustang...maybe some years down who knows. But I doubt it.

Last edited by jmurray87; 10-17-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix64

Nothing to worry about. A iron block turbo 6 will make the car heavier, and all the weight gain will be on the front of the car at that.
While a turbo 6 Mustang might be able to keep up with a Camaro SS in the 1/4 mile, it doesn't stand a chance in things that actually matter, like how the car drives, feels, handles, and stops, especially if its still using the truck axle...
Old 10-17-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
The Camaro is already outdated....sad, but they (GM) took too long to release it. It is a stillborn.
Will people quit saying that!

It is NOT. They ARE making it. People are making orders now! It performs well. Hardly a stillborn
Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Actually, the design is OUTDATED!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fspeedster
Actually, the design is OUTDATED!!!
According to who?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

hp sells cars, torque wins races
Old 10-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Ford has yet to confirm that motor going into the mustang.

You can read on Ford forums even they doubt I't will be in the mustang anytime soon....its a new motor and expensive to much for a "base" mustang...maybe some years down who knows. But I doubt it.
I have a hard time beliving a 415hp motor would be considered the new "base" motor, especially seeing as how right now the V8 only makes 300hp. They would step up the v8 and make a economy v6 for the "base" motor or make the v8 the new "base" motor.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Exactly.. this motor, if it even makes it in a stang, will not be a base option. And, with that in mind, it better not be the GT base engine either as ford will absolutely kill the stang.

As for the design being outdated... the only thing outdated is the perception that people have over the v-8 engine and classic musclecar looks. Generally speaking, you are the ones responsible for sure ideology... not the car. If you want something "fresh", get a jap. car that looks just like everything else on the road.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

The new camaro is hardly outdated. But I would like a DI/VVT LS3

W
Old 10-19-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
hp sells cars, torque wins races
i got a question for you, would you rather have 5 hp or 5 tq. ?

Sorry i just find this statement silly and dumb
Old 10-19-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The TT V6 would not be the base by a long shot. If you think it would. your a dumbass.

It'd be a N/A V6 an N/A V8 and then a special performance TT V6 if anything. Hell they may not even have the V8, though thats unlikely, because there are so many hicks out there that would rather have a V8 over a V6 in the Mustang, even if the V6 was a TT, it would apaul some people, because the V8 is herritage
Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThirdGenLS1
i got a question for you, would you rather have 5 hp or 5 tq. ?

Sorry i just find this statement silly and dumb
hp = torque/5252, you can't have one without the other.
Torque is what moves your car, your car accelerates according to your torque curve exactly. So where you make the most torque is when you will be accelerating the hardest. Peak hp is great for marketing, but not much else.
http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html
Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
hp = torque*RPM/5252, you can't have one without the other.
Torque is what moves your car, your car accelerates according to your torque curve exactly. So where you make the most torque is when you will be accelerating the hardest. Peak hp is great for marketing, but not much else.
I'm sure it was a typo.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

hp = torque/5252, you can't have one without the other.
so you are telling me your formula 1/top fuel/etc. race cars are leaving time on the table cause they drive no where near there peak tq.

Car accelerates the quickest where it makes the most POWER period
Old 10-19-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I'm sure it was a typo.
ooops thanks.

Originally Posted by ThirdGenLS1
so you are telling me your formula 1/top fuel/etc. race cars are leaving time on the table cause they drive no where near there peak tq.
No.
Cars have gears, and the higher the numerical gear you go (like 1,2,3 etc.) the less torque the car is putting to the wheels. So in 1st gear your making more torque at the wheels at the same RPM than in 2nd and so on. This is why you "wind out" the gears instead of shifting a peak torque, because if you would have short shifted you'd be making less torque to the wheels than if you stayed in the lower gear and ran it out.

Car accelerates the quickest where it makes the most POWER period
So wrong.
Read the web page I posted, you can do the "experiment" yourself.
Its best to have something like a truck because of their powerbands. Put it into 1st and drive up to where you make peak torque and hammer it. Do the same thing where you make peak power, and you'll notice (depending on how much torque you make at that RPM) its much less of a kick. LS1 cars are kinda hard to notice this with because of how flat of a torque curve we have.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

That engine cited as being released in Australia is actually made by Ford Australia for Australia only, you'll never see it here and it's being phased out Down Under in a few years because of emissions regulations. It's an inline six with a single turbo and it pumps out 415hp in Ford's top performance car there.

The turbo engine the Mustang may get is based on Ford's new 3.5L V6 which is US engineered. When Ford debuted the twin-turbo version of this engine they called it Twin-Force and it made over 400hp easily. Whether it does in any production vehicle they make is yet to be seen.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

ooops thanks.

No.
Cars have gears, and the higher the numerical gear you go (like 1,2,3 etc.) the less torque the car is putting to the wheels. So in 1st gear your making more torque at the wheels at the same RPM than in 2nd and so on. This is why you "wind out" the gears instead of shifting a peak torque, because if you would have short shifted you'd be making less torque to the wheels than if you stayed in the lower gear and ran it out.

So wrong.
Read the web page I posted, you can do the "experiment" yourself.
Its best to have something like a truck because of their powerbands. Put it into 1st and drive up to where you make peak torque and hammer it. Do the same thing where you make peak power, and you'll notice (depending on how much torque you make at that RPM) its much less of a kick. LS1 cars are kinda hard to notice this with because of how flat of a torque curve we have.
so you are saying a formula one car should run under 5250 since it makes the most torque there. Man they are leaving so much on the table by driving in the 12-18k rpm
range

man we should all put diesels in our cars and maximize the power below 5k since thats where our car will be the fastest

Search this Thread