LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

More cam install questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More cam install questions..

Well, I've got the cam in, timing lined up, but I do have some questions though. I had the EGR deleted out with tune. So does this mean I can pretty much just take out the whole air pump or do I need it for something else? (I apologize if this is a noob question I'm just not too sure on it.)

The timing cover seals are being a bitch to get out. Any special way of getting these out or is it basically beat them until they pop out? haha

Injectors, I'm kinda confused as how to go about getting them off of the fuel rails and put the new ones in... I'm sure I'm just over looking some easy/obvious way of doing this, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks. And my apologies if these are dumb questions, I just want to avoid forcing something that doesnt need to be forced and end up breakin something!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

EGR and AIR are two different things. You can remove the AIR pump, its bracket, tuck the wire connector to it and its electrical connectors as well as the metal line going under your motor. (I did all of that to get rid of as much as I could in the engine bay... however its still crowded...)

BUT you must also delete the AIR codes. You may have had this done but you only indicated the EGR codes had been deleted. Personally I think its just added weight and space *Shrugs* (But then I have the same opinion of cruise control...)
Old 10-18-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
Well, I've got the cam in, timing lined up, but I do have some questions though. I had the EGR deleted out with tune. So does this mean I can pretty much just take out the whole air pump or do I need it for something else? (I apologize if this is a noob question I'm just not too sure on it.)

The timing cover seals are being a bitch to get out. Any special way of getting these out or is it basically beat them until they pop out? haha

Injectors, I'm kinda confused as how to go about getting them off of the fuel rails and put the new ones in... I'm sure I'm just over looking some easy/obvious way of doing this, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks. And my apologies if these are dumb questions, I just want to avoid forcing something that doesnt need to be forced and end up breakin something!
http://shbox.com/ci/cam_removal.html should help on removing injectors and the cover.

The air pump and all hoses/lines and fuse pulled. I believe it will throw a code and you'll have to tune that out.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:16 AM
TECH Veteran

as for the injectors on the rail there are little retainers on there just move them aside easily and then twist and pull the injectors down and out
Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get the seals out of the timing cover. I have new ones for it and they're not wanting to budge. Any suggestions with that? I have the cover off, I'm just trying to get it back on with the new seals in it.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

^^There is a Tool called a Seal Puller, I have seen ones small enough for those. There is a notch in the front of the Cover too, take a Screw Driver, and use a small Hammer, get behind the Seal and pop it out.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
Thanks guys, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get the seals out of the timing cover. I have new ones for it and they're not wanting to budge. Any suggestions with that? I have the cover off, I'm just trying to get it back on with the new seals in it.

I took a flat head screw drive and angled it from the back and tapped them out, I would think you are using new seals
Old 10-18-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I'm putting the new seals in it, but I took a flat head and hammer to it and it just won't move. I'll look into that seal puller and see if anyone around here sells them.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no need to buy a puller, give it some "tough love" with the screwdriver. sometimes they need a bit of convincing but it will pop out
Old 10-18-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last one i had issues with I just put a small screw in it and clamped onto the screw and pulled them out with vise grips. worked fine for me.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 355z28
Last one i had issues with I just put a small screw in it and clamped onto the screw and pulled them out with vise grips. worked fine for me.
I'm gonna give that a try later tonight.

Also, the air pump I'm confused as to what it does.. It has a tube from the CAI to the pump itself, then there is another tube from the pump to some type of "regulator" that goes into emissions piping for the exhaust sooo I can't just take all this bs off and be fine? I figured the EGR was all of that. Apparently not. I'm just a bit confused why it will throw a code. But I am pretty confident I do not want this on my car anymore, it's just wasted space in my eyes unless it does play a significant roll somewhere that I'm looking past.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

The Air Pump is designed to put normal Air in the Exhaust to help the Cats burn off the unburnt Fuel and whatever else it needs to filter out.

Get you some Race Headers and delete all that ****.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by the_merv
The Air Pump is designed to put normal Air in the Exhaust to help the Cats burn off the unburnt Fuel and whatever else it needs to filter out.

Get you some Race Headers and delete all that ****.
I have LPP headers (have no recirculation piping on them) thats why I don't think I need the AIR pump at all right? I can take it out, throw a code and get it tuned out later?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it will throw a code if not egr/air is not tuned out
Old 10-18-2008, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

It'll throw a code, but it'll run fine.

Quick Reply: More cam install questions..