Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

bone stock 94 formula vs. a couple 4th gen gt's

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking bone stock 94 formula vs. a couple 4th gen gt's

so my first race of the night is between me and a white 4th gen gt. we kinda played around for a while not really racing, and finaly we got to line up at a light. i rev to 2500 and drop it when the light turns. i spin like a **** all the way through the intersection and i just barely pulled him before we hit 60 and we both lay off it. i had a friend in the car and he was by himself, and w/out my granny shifting i prolly would have beaten him by more. (by the way, does everyone else have a rediculous amount of travel in there shifts or just me?) anyway, he couldnt have had more than a cat-back on his car.

2nd is between me and a yellow 4th gen gt, from about a 40 roll after a left turn. we just barely line up and he punches it and im a little late on the downshift. we hit 60 and hes about a car length ahead of me. not sure what mods he had but it couldnt have been much.

last is me vs. my friends 02 gt with a CAI and a catback. we go from a dig at a light. i rev to 2500 drop it and once again i feel my rear end drift a bit to the left and i burn em through the intersection. by the time i hit 2nd i had half a length on him. 3rd and then to 4th and i look back and hes wayyyy behind me so i let off. i line up with him again at the next light and he says he was shifting a little early and when i was still in 2nd he was already in 3rd. so after that were going the same direction at about 35 and he decides he wants to go again and i see him start to pull up on me in my rearview mirror. i downshift and punch it and his shifting must have got a little better because we stayed about even till we hit about 60 again and we both let off.

so overall ive been very impressed with this car. its just a bone stock 94 formula and its performed well over my expectations. this was only my second night of racing. ever. and i was pleasently surprised at how well both the car and i did. my first night i stayed dead even with an rx-8 boosting 10lbs and over 10k in mods in his car. i thought he was guna stomp me!

so my next step is a headerback exhaust, CAI, and desperatly needed short shifter, and ill see what i can do with that.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice runs...stock lt1's are very close to stock 2v gt's. the 2v "should" pull harder off the line and then you should start to reel them in with your better top end.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

awesome runs, must have been mighty fun!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Teching In

You need to start slipping that clutch.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

They are fairly close but more often than not I see the 2valves pulling out wins. Most likely because 90% of the GT's out there have gears and a GT with some 4.10's is pretty quick from a dig to 60.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys. well see im from colorado springs, and here, pretty much every other car you see is a 4th gen mustang. theyre so overated its rediculous, and most of the people that drive them dont know ****. no disrespect for the stang owners that actualy know wtf theyre talking about, but i hate how steriotypical both those cars and there drivers have become.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Those 99-04 2v GTs with bolt-ons are strong from the dig but lose alot on top-end.
Great races man p.s side step that clutch and BEWARE OF THE STICKING CLUTCH PEDAL!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

nice runs. even the new mustangs are like that imo. top end is a weak point for them. except a Mach and cobra
Old 10-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly i have never been impressed by the two valve GT's. At the track i go to I have never seen a bone stock one get better than a high fourteen. I saw a stock one get a 14.6 one time and he was getting 2.0 60's . With that being said stock LT1's tend to run 14.1's all day long here. I have also never lost to one. When i had my minor bolt on 05 GTO I beat one with full bolt ons, gears, and a 100 shot by a car and half. I like how they look but that's about it. I walked a catback one with my LT1 by around six cars or more, it's to hard to tell at that distance. BTW good kills
Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

those gt owners didn't know how to drive. i ran 9.1 (eighth mile) with room for improvement

bone stock
Old 10-18-2008, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep
those gt owners didn't know how to drive. i ran 9.1 (eighth mile) with room for improvement

bone stock
what was your mph
Old 10-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

bone stock
That's an impressive time for a stock GT. I know the owners of the one's i raced and they are both decent drivers but there are alot of poor drivers out there and that might account for some of what i see at the track. I've driven a few as well and they felt strong down low but as it got above 60 mph their pull really slows and that's where they start falling behind the LT1. Besides your mph what was your 60 foot?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Teching In

i run 8.3 in the 1/8th. and y do i always read on this board 3v's have no top end? mine has more than my 99 ws-6 with the same mods. im not partial to ford or gm and i loved my trans am but for a 4.6 this 3v really screams.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by meanredZ
Honestly i have never been impressed by the two valve GT's. At the track i go to I have never seen a bone stock one get better than a high fourteen. I saw a stock one get a 14.6 one time and he was getting 2.0 60's . With that being said stock LT1's tend to run 14.1's all day long here. I have also never lost to one. When i had my minor bolt on 05 GTO I beat one with full bolt ons, gears, and a 100 shot by a car and half. I like how they look but that's about it. I walked a catback one with my LT1 by around six cars or more, it's to hard to tell at that distance. BTW good kills

What mods done to your LT1? It would have to be bolted on pretty decent to walk a catback 2valve by 6 cars. Unless it was a stock geared automatic maybe. 99^ 2valves are a drivers race with a slight edge going to the Mustang IMO. In the hands of a good driver they are quick from a dig, but are out of breath at the top of 3rd gear.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Birdmanlt1350
thanks guys. well see im from colorado springs, and here, pretty much every other car you see is a 4th gen mustang. theyre so overated its rediculous, and most of the people that drive them dont know ****. no disrespect for the stang owners that actualy know wtf theyre talking about, but i hate how steriotypical both those cars and there drivers have become.
Unfortunately its like that around here too. Im just west of Atlanta and it seems like every other 17 year old has a GT and they think they cant be touched. Although to be fair I have seen more than a few Fbody owners that act the same way. Beleive it or not the ricers around here are more respectful than most of the Mustang/Fbod guys lol.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
What mods done to your LT1? It would have to be bolted on pretty decent to walk a catback 2valve by 6 cars. Unless it was a stock geared automatic maybe. 99^ 2valves are a drivers race with a slight edge going to the Mustang IMO. In the hands of a good driver they are quick from a dig, but are out of breath at the top of 3rd gear.
Mods are in my sig. The one i raced was a kids who lives in my town. It's a yellow convertible 5 speed with a flowmaster catback. We went from a dig and with my stickier tires and gears i pulled him hard out of the hole and it only got worse as the race went on. By 60 mph i had 2 3/4 cars and by 110 mph it was around 6 but it's kinda hard to tell with that big of a margin. I have alot more mods than him but it was pretty ugly for him. I didn't really pull a whole bunch of cars at one time it was just a continuous walk. He's a nice guy and we gave each other props. I rode in his car and he's a pretty good driver so that's not why it was so bad, he just said that I kept pulling and he had no clue how far up i was.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by meanredZ
That's an impressive time for a stock GT. I know the owners of the one's i raced and they are both decent drivers but there are alot of poor drivers out there and that might account for some of what i see at the track. I've driven a few as well and they felt strong down low but as it got above 60 mph their pull really slows and that's where they start falling behind the LT1. Besides your mph what was your 60 foot?
thanks. nice to get a compliment on this site
and yeah the pull slows down up top. my 60' ft with that run was 2.029 (street tires)

and my mph was 76.8 or something like that...not sure how big of a difference it made but i fubbed a little and had kind of a slow shift to third gear on that run. 3rd gear sucks.

Last edited by mrbigjeep; 10-19-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:43 PM

Good kill! The 99-04 GT's are a very close race with an LT1. Overall I'd give the advantage to the LT1's because I've seen alot more stock ones hit a 13.9, witha few going faster. Don't see hardly any 2V GT's doing that stock.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

thanks. nice to get a compliment on this site
and yeah the pull slows down up top. my 60' ft with that run was 2.029 (street tires)

and my mph was 76.8 or something like that...not sure how big of a difference it made but i fubbed a little and had kind of a slow shift to third gear on that run. 3rd gear sucks.
Not everyone is closed minded and think all fords suck. It's just, this is a GM site so your gonna get that here. But that's a good time and with a 1.9 sixty you could have a time very close to 8's. I've always heard they were very close and I don't disagree at all. It's just from my experiences the LT1 is a little quicker. They also mod the exact opposite way once you get past bolt ons. A heads and cams 2v won't make much over 315rwhp in most cases where LT1's will usually make over 400rwhp without much trouble with H/C. This forces most mustang owners to have to jump straight to F/I.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOUD TA
You need to start slipping that clutch.
Thats one thing that took me a while to learn, control the launch with your clutch not the gas.