LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cruise Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruise Control Question

I've noticed that when I'm going down a steep grade with the cruise enabled, noticing the tach, the engine seems to be doing something strange. The engine speed gradually drops off and recovers and it'll keep doing that untill power is required again to maintain set speed. Does anyone elses car do this? It doesn't "seem" to be an actual problem but just wondering if its a quirk of the design.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

could be dod related or just engine braking. suppose it would need to drop down lower with only 4 cylinders.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the torque converter engaging and disengaging to keep you at your speed "aka" slowing you down. Its anoying when you drive down hills alot and puts alot of wear and tear on the torque converter , id rather it just let me cruise down the hill and let me slow my self down.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh is that what it was..I can think of a 1000 better ways to hold the speed on a grade than that...For instance, Chryslers will gently down shift.

Its very strange because you get an unsettling surging...Kinda feels like a driver who can't keep a steady foot.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Oh is that what it was..I can think of a 1000 better ways to hold the speed on a grade than that...For instance, Chryslers will gently down shift.

Its very strange because you get an unsettling surging...Kinda feels like a driver who can't keep a steady foot.
Try having a exhaust cutout and it sounds like i'm reving it over and over and everyone can hear you.