Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

any racing rear brakes smaller than LT1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any racing rear brakes smaller than LT1 ?

aftermarket to mount on a 9" rear - small mount and caliper diameter to clear 15" wheels?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chief455
aftermarket to mount on a 9" rear - small mount and caliper diameter to clear 15" wheels?
are you asking the physical size of the caliper's? are just for wheel clearance?

any drag brake setup would clear much more than stock lt1 brakes I would think...

Chad
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Above response is spot on. It's not so much the diameter that is the issue, it is the caliper overhang. We can set you up with Strange rear-drag brakes. You'll also need our bearing spacers and braided lines w/adapters to set the brakes properly.

The drag brakes will drop ~25lbs from the car which is a good wieght modification. Fronts are even better at ~55-60lbs.

Give us a call tomorrow if you need help.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
are you asking the physical size of the caliper's? are just for wheel clearance?

any drag brake setup would clear much more than stock lt1 brakes I would think...

Chad
Actually I have a set of custom wheels I want to make work.
my 15x10 Draglites fit with no spacer after minor grinding. Those wheels have about 14-1/4" inside barrel diameter.
The new wheels start with a 14-1/4" barrel but have a step that reduces to 13-1/8" diameter that is 4" deep from the axle flange out toward the rear lip. Then a 3-1/2" step with larger diameter which the LT1 caliper fits right into.
Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Above response is spot on. It's not so much the diameter that is the issue, it is the caliper overhang. We can set you up with Strange rear-drag brakes. You'll also need our bearing spacers and braided lines w/adapters to set the brakes properly.

The drag brakes will drop ~25lbs from the car which is a good wieght modification. Fronts are even better at ~55-60lbs.

Give us a call tomorrow if you need help.
Steve - I will call you. I tried a 3/4" spacer and that just scraped the caliper mounts going into the smaller step of the barrel. But the spacer put my tires out the quarter panel.
I'd need to set the calipers back a good inch to have them sit in the larger area of my wheel. Or have a brake aet up with less than 13-1/8" outside diamter at it's largest point to sit in the stock location.
I paid good money for the wheels and really can't afford to do alot to make them work.
If racing brakes will let the wheels fit and reduce weight and be street worthy it could be an option depending on cost. I just want to know if such a set up exists!
thanks, Geoff

Last edited by chief455; 10-20-2008 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chief,

I'm not sure what you'd consider inexpensive, we have all pieces you'd need listed on our website http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_brk_ls1.html towards the bottom.

They are a very good weight modification as well enables most drag wheels to clear easily. Though they typically stop better then stock brakes, they wouldn't be considered a "daily" driving setup. To me the term daily driver means you're using it probably 90% of the time going anywhere from 18,000+ miles a year. Driving conditions can also affect brake considerations as well.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Chief,

I'm not sure what you'd consider inexpensive, we have all pieces you'd need listed on our website http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_brk_ls1.html towards the bottom.

They are a very good weight modification as well enables most drag wheels to clear easily. Though they typically stop better then stock brakes, they wouldn't be considered a "daily" driving setup. To me the term daily driver means you're using it probably 90% of the time going anywhere from 18,000+ miles a year. Driving conditions can also affect brake considerations as well.
Called twice to discuss - no answer.
I am more like street = ~2,500 mile/year, strip = 20 passes/year.

Quick Reply: any racing rear brakes smaller than LT1 ?