View Full Version : Want to purchase this WS6, strange lack of power, need advice

BitchinBird
10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi I need some advice.

I have a 2000 Trans Am, but have found a VERY nice WS6 car nearby. I am willing to buy this one and sell mine afterwards to have the nicer, real WS6 car.

So I went to look at it today and it was everything I expected and more, except when I test drove it it seemed to lack power on the bottom end. He had exhaust put on the car recently and I'm wondering if that changed the lower end power. Stock headers into big exhaust pipes and I think theres a Y-pipe in there too. It sounds good, throaty, not obnoctious. But it really seemed to lack alot of power on the bottom and confused me.

What else could it be? Its a 35,000 miles really nice car. No engine knocks, no low oil pressure everything checks out. :confused:

I couldn't believe how much more bottom my normal Trans Am had when I drove it home. It has stock exhaust.

BitchinBird
10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Oh ya, this WS6 car I'm looking at is completely stock except for the exhaust.

NeedaV8foundation
10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
umm it might need a tune? that and when you change your exhuast your intake needs to be modified to flow more as well to compensate. just might need a lid.

BitchinBird
10-21-2008, 11:16 PM
So then intake might need to be modified. How so? What else would need to be tuned?

twitchtwice
10-22-2008, 12:03 AM
is our other ta stock or is it highly modded?

99blancoSS
10-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Any mods to your current TA? (same question as above..lol)

BitchinBird
10-22-2008, 12:43 PM
My Trans Am is completley stock. I'm probably gonna take the WS6 car to get a diagnostic test run on it and see if any sensors are bad. Could an oxygen sensor affect power. Mass air flow sensor? I also wonder if it could be fuel pressure related.

97AnniversaryZ
10-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Tune, check sensors, and possibly a lid. You should be ready to go after that!

Camaro396
10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
It could have diff rear end gears than your car does.

SOMbitch
10-22-2008, 01:44 PM
It could have diff rear end gears than your car does.

Ws6 will have 3.23 if a4 and 3.42 if m6. Unless somebody swapped in a 3.73 or something I doubt it but it is very possible:devil:

Jigen
10-22-2008, 01:49 PM
When I put a new catback and Y on my stock car I noticed that it felt a little slower down low. It was the first thing I noticed. But then again, I noticed that it felt faster up top. I think it's mainly in my head and the sound and feel is just messing with me.

I made a few topics on here when I noticed this and people seemed to agree that you lose a little low end torque when you open up the exhaust.

Would a tune really be necessary for a catback only car?

BitchinBird
10-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Its a 6-speed WS6 and has a 3.42 axle ratio. Thats the first thing that came to my mind was possibly a different gear ratio but its the same as my 6-speed stock TA 3.42.

I think it probably lost a little on the bottom, but I may be over reacting on just how much it lost. It felt like alot, but there was a passenger in the car, and overall the car felt different than mine.

But I will probably buy it. Its a Formula WS6 at a really good price in an excellent color in excellent condition. I'll probably never come across a car like this again.

twitchtwice
10-22-2008, 03:56 PM
make the owner race your ta in the formula:devil: then you will know

BitchinBird
10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
make the owner race your ta in the formula:devil: then you will know

lol, good idea

noriceinside
10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
so many things going on here...

noriceinside
10-22-2008, 09:26 PM
that and when you change your exhuast your intake needs to be modified to flow more as well to compensate.
where the fuck did you hear this? completely untrue. its not all or nothing with mods.

I'm probably gonna take the WS6 car to get a diagnostic test run on it and see if any sensors are bad.
how is this done? there isnt some magical computer that you can hook up and it checks every sensor for proper operation. oh wait yeah there is its call a PCM. if you dont have a check engine light theres nothing wrong with any sensors.

But I will probably buy it. Its a Formula WS6 at a really good price in an excellent color in excellent condition.
if theres nothing wrong with your T/A why sell it? an ls1 is an ls1 is an ls1. only difference is looks. a "real" ws6 has very minor things done to it, which all get changed out for better parts anyway.

I'll probably never come across a car like this again.
yes you will. i guarantee it.

noriceinside
10-22-2008, 09:30 PM
sorry if i sounded like an asshole, i have a very sarcastic sense of humor.

twitchtwice
10-22-2008, 09:37 PM
i can see him selling the ta and getting that car if the ta is stock and the formula isnt that much more after he sells the ta.

Swift_01_z-28
10-22-2008, 10:07 PM
When I was first looking into buying my f-body, I was looking at an ss. They wanted something like 15 or 16k for it. Low miles, pretty car, all that good stuff. I ended up getting my z-28 because the way I look at it, is it's practically the same car and can be made faster and prettier for the price that I would have paid for an SS. In the end, it's your choice. Just think about the fact that really the only difference is looks.

BlueBird346
10-22-2008, 10:18 PM
WS6 Formulas are pretty rare tho.

BitchinBird
10-23-2008, 01:13 PM
sorry if i sounded like an asshole, i have a very sarcastic sense of humor.

Thats ok, I'm moving to Santa Clarita in a few months. So I'll see you out there and we'll settle this on the street. :D

The reason I'm buying this car? I love the look of Formulas WAY better, this car is 1 of 233 Fomula WS6's, and my TA has an repo Ram Air hood that makes me want to puke. I need the real thing.

You actually think I'll come across a car like this again? A fomula Ws6 in my fav color in amazing condition for great price within 30 miles of where I live? I think not.

infinite_one
10-24-2008, 06:33 AM
check the rear end code for sure my buddys dads car is way slower than my z and his trans am. his dads camaro has lower gears in the rear in and makes it balls slows and he has a built trans just figured that out not too long ago

dannyo210
10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
oh wait yeah there is its call a PCM. if you dont have a check engine light theres nothing wrong with any sensors.

That's not true. The mass airflow sensor went in my car and it didn't pull a check engine light. I'd check the air filter/mass airflow sensor and see if they are clogged up.

But, there are hundreds of reasons for performance loss..

Striped02WS6
10-25-2008, 05:49 PM
dude if you can afford the car and sell the TA and come out close to even then do it man...i agree the formula WS6's are more bad ass and much more rare the the TA WS6..plus hes already started modding so you are a step ahead....dont worry about how it "feels" get someone to drive your car on a test drive and match em up...

do what makes you happy

BitchinBird
10-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Well I bought the car, it is absolutley bad ass. This is how a Firebird should look in my opinion. Formula body, WS6, Navy midnight blue, factory hurst shifter and 12 disc, and a 6 speed, 35k miles. The car is SO nice and the price was super resonable. All I gotta do now is swap the leather interior from my TA into the formula, I can't stand cloth.

Driving the Formula home by myself, there is something defintely goin on. It feels like its choking for gas or air in the low to mid range rpms. My TA would spank the Formula in a race right now, and it shouldn't be that way.

That's not true. The mass airflow sensor went in my car and it didn't pull a check engine light. I'd check the air filter/mass airflow sensor and see if they are clogged up.

Actually I have to tear into my TA because the water pump is leaking, so while I'm in there I'm gonna take the mass airflow sensor and put it on the formula and see what that does. The TA will be a donor car till I get this problem figured out. :D

MattxFatal
10-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Well I bought the car, it is absolutley bad ass. All I gotta do now is swap the leather interior from my TA into the formula, I can't stand cloth.

Driving the Formula home by myself, there is something defintely goin on. It feels like its choking for gas or air in the low to mid range rpms. My TA would spank the Formula in a race right now, and it shouldn't be that way.

That seems like a smart buy...:suspiciou

BitchinBird
10-18-2009, 01:35 AM
For anyone who reads this old thread in the future cause they are encountering a similar ' lack of power '.... I replaced the mass air flow sensor... problem fixed.

pewter2002
10-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Good for you! You went with your hunch that something minor was up with the car, were observant enough to notice in the first place, took a chance and got a GREAT car for YOUR price!!! Sounds like you got your ideal f body. I love it when things turn out like this!

RaggedRides
10-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Good for you! You went with your hunch that something minor was up with the car, were observant enough to notice in the first place, took a chance and got a GREAT car for YOUR price!!! Sounds like you got your ideal f body. I love it when things turn out like this!

Hugs??

How about some pictures of new aquisition? A friend of mine bought a '95 Mustang GT that was having similar problems. It was so dog slow I beat him horribly with my old 3.8 V6 Mustang. After he slapped a new MAF on it, the thing ran like a raped ape and put buslenghts on me.

69camaross
10-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Couple things;

1. With only having 35,000 miles the car was obviously babied meaning the owner probably didn't get on it a lot and drove it like a grandma. If you are running your TA hard (not beating it up, but on it alot) the computer will learn to your driving style and will make small adjustments to the fuel and spark curve. It will be VERY minor though.

2. The owner could have been a cheap ass and put 87 octane in it or.... with the car sitting a lot the gas in it could be old.

3. The spark plugs may have only 35,000 miles on them but they are 10 years old.

I'd replace the plugs and wires with AC Delco GM stuff (get the red 8.5mm GM race wires) run a few tanks of 93 octane through it, then check to see if feels like it improved.

Word of caution, take it easy on the car and don't start running the shit out of it. Slowly bring it back to a normal car's driving routine. A car that sits that all of a sudden is then driven aggressively will start dropping parts left and right, gasket seals (oil leaks), sensors, water pumps, etc. This is the one down side to buying cars with ultra low miles but won't be a problem if you're smart about it.

What year is this 98, 99 or 00? I don't remember the numbers but if an 00 that's REALLY rare.

BobDoLe
10-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Its a 6-speed WS6 and has a 3.42 axle ratio. Thats the first thing that came to my mind was possibly a different gear ratio but its the same as my 6-speed stock TA 3.42.

I think it probably lost a little on the bottom, but I may be over reacting on just how much it lost. It felt like alot, but there was a passenger in the car, and overall the car felt different than mine.

But I will probably buy it. Its a Formula WS6 at a really good price in an excellent color in excellent condition. I'll probably never come across a car like this again.

how big was the passenger? did you check the trunk for bodies or a couple hundred pounds of black tar heroin?

bballr4567
10-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Fuel filter. Change it. You'll see a difference there.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? Leather as well?